1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Micro heads and fan noise in quiet settings

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by djwatts, Jan 28, 2017.

1. djwatts

djwatts

Apr 3, 2012
    Bend, OR
    Hey Everyone,

I'm currently playing in a kirtan band, which always contains a quiet setting, where after a song people will sit quietly with their eyes closed and in silence. I've been using a GK MB Fusion for the last six years through an Epifani UL112 and UL110. I love the sound of this rig, but the fan noise on the GK (due to it having a 3 tube preamp) is fairly loud in a room full of quiet people. So, does anyone have experience with the new EICH amps or other high end micro heads and have noticed them being either very quiet or loud from the fan or lack thereof? What are your favorites?

Thanks,

David

2. bassbooty

bassbooty -Rey Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2006
    Utah
    The dual fans in my Eich designed TecAmp Puma 900 are whisper quiet. I have no experience with Thomas Eich's new amps, but I'm willing to bet the fans are similarly quiet.

3. djwatts

djwatts

Apr 3, 2012
    Bend, OR
    That's great to know. Thanks, I'm hoping to get to the EICH distributor in Hesperia, CA in a couple weeks to check them out.

4. dBerriff

dBerriff

Oct 2, 2004
    Oakham, UK
    The Tecamp Pumas do not have fans in the 500 W and below models. I have a Tecamp Puma 500 and I can verify that it is fan-less and physically silent. Not even any transformer hum that I have noticed. I presume the Eich amps are the same.

I have never had any overheating problems and it is usually left on all day for practice or rehearsal work. I have never pushed the amp that hard I admit. Swing band rehearsals need no more than 10 - 11 o'clock on the master volume.

5. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Not a micro amp but if you dig the GK sound there is always the 800RB or 400RB.

6. quickervicar

quickervicar Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    I feel for you. My Trace Elliot QuatraValve has a fan that sounds like an AC window unit. No way to turn it off. It limits the gigs I take it out on for sure.

7. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    My Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0 has a very quiet fan. Only comes on when needed so if it's not being pushed it stays off. I'm guessing the new Magellan head from Genzler would be similar.

Jeff Genzler likes this.
  8. Orpheus55

Orpheus55 Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Port Charlotte, FL
    My Peavey Minimax has a loud fan, but is never noticeable in live situations.

9. Goatrope

Goatrope Gold Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    We posted a bunch about the loud fans on the MBF800 a year or so back. I thought GK changed out the fans at some point. Might be able to search out those older posts in case you'd just like to swap fans.

I never bothered to change mine since I couldn't hear anything at gigs.

10. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    GK MB200 has a fan, but I've never heard it make any noise.

DWBass likes this.
  11. gl1234

gl1234 Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2015
    I use an Acoustic Image Clarus SL, it does not have a fan.

Tommyc, Michael Eisenman and Slaymus like this.
  12. MarkA

MarkA *** Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    I just got an Eich T-900 and played it for the first time at home last night -- if the fan came on at all, it was quiet enough that I couldn't tell. Will see as I play it more. The Genzler Magellan has a very quiet fan. The Glockenklang Blue Rock has a fan that is functionally silent. Those are all different amps in other regards but, as far as fan noise goes, they're all very quiet (though, again, I've got very little experience so far with the Eich).

Dragonlord likes this.
  13. big_fundamental

big_fundamental

Oct 3, 2016
    Carvin BX250 has no fan. If price or marketing is what makes something "high end" it fails that test. But a nice EQ and feature set for < 1$ per watt of output @4 ohms.

14. Dean N

Dean N

Jul 4, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Absolutely unacceptable. I will advise that you dispose of that useless cab at once. In my basement. :woot:

15. Same here. I used my MB200 at a really quiet jam last night and didn't notice the fan at all.
    It sounds great to me, but it's not "high end".

djwatts likes this.
  16. Jamie_Funk

Jamie_Funk Supporting Member

Oct 17, 2002
    London, Ontario
    The fan on my Traynor SB500H micro head is so quiet I occasionally wonder if it stopped (it hasn't) :)

ptensioned, edencab and djwatts like this.
  17. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    i can confirm that GK revised the control circuit on the fans. i owned one built before the modification, and they updated it for me at the factory. it was _much_ quieter after the mod.

i'd suggest contacting their customer support.

djwatts likes this.
  18. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I put a dot of white paint on the fans of my amps, so I can see when they're turning on.

djwatts likes this.
  19. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Far West Texas
    I know the newer MB500 amps fan does not come on until it gets really hot. I have honestly never heard mine. The TC Electronic RH450 is dead silent while the RH750 can be heard only if you're right on top of it.

Fishheadjoe and djwatts like this.
  20. djwatts

djwatts

Apr 3, 2012
    Bend, OR
    Thanks! I'll search for that and would love swap out this noisy little sucker!