1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Micro$oft Surface ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by crispygoat, Feb 25, 2008.

1. crispygoat

crispygoat Guest

Aug 22, 2006
    London, Ontario
    The so called table computer's release date is soon, (spring 2008) what do you think about it ? Will it follow Micro$oft's other products and be a total failure the first year ? Will it crash as much as all the Windows running machines ? Do you think Apple will try to do something about it ?

www.microsoft.com/surface for those who don't know !

2. I'm not going to lie, technology like that scares me. Seems like it's the first step toward the walls in Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451.

I saw that video sometime last summer, or whenever, when it first was announced. It's cool, but I dunno. I'm overly paranoid about technology.

3. Hey! I see what you did there... Pretty clever that.

4. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    This is technology that's been in development over the past few years in several places. Here's Jeff Han at TED a couple of years ago.

5. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    Sounds interesting, but I won't be jumping on it.

6. Same technology that Apple uses in their Ipod touches and Iphones. I expect to see something like that coming from them soon as well. Only theirs wont crash.

lowsound

7. jazzy grille

jazzy grille - Arrogant Bastard

Aug 15, 2006
    Sarasota, Florida
    Apple actually had exact same product (even before the Iphone/Ipod touch). I wonder how Microsoft got a hold of it.. I know a 3rd party developed it and Apple was supposed to have bought it.

Micro$oft? Lol, Honestly..

I never have a problem with any of my Microsoft comps magically crashing, including the Vista one I just built, which I am writing this message with.

8. I'm through with Microshaft's baggage, hello Mac!
    Josh

9. bloodfairy13

bloodfairy13

Feb 27, 2004
    Kentucky
    ...I personally think that windows is better...
    my windows computer rarely crashes...
    my Apple iPod crashes all the time...

but didn't they have something like that in the movie The Island????

10. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Hmm. I thought this project was scrapped.

11. Scarlet Fire

Scarlet Fire

Mar 31, 2007
    New England
    I want one.

Edit: But not for $10,000. Ouch.

12. mr sprocket

mr sprocket

Jul 31, 2006
    Dallas
    Pretty interesting to see how it is applied. I can see using it as a design tool. It would make graphics and code interesting. Now I am thinking it through, interactive collaboration.

The demo for commerce scares me from an administrator view. Many potential holes.

13. if i can eat cereal (or oatmeal depending on how much of a rush i'm in) and surf the web i'm buying one.

14. What are you doing to your Ipod? I have had three different Ipod's (upgraded each time) and have run them on both PC and Mac and NEVER had one crash. Been using them for years. My PC on the other hand, use to have all kinds of problems and yes, I do know how to run a PC, way too much of a hassle.

lowsound

15. Choosh

Choosh

Jan 14, 2008
    Chicago
    I tried out the surface (me being in U.S.'s most MOS. passing student ratio school in the U.S., so Microsoft had a conference to us talking about jobs at Microsoft) it actually is very responsive. It works like this: underneath the table are cameras they pick up on shadows cast down when you touch it. Things are recognized by a special serial code on the bottom of things. It's actually really cool.