1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Micro pog vs ebs octave pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Brattbugg, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Brattbugg

Brattbugg Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Motor City
    I've been using an ebs octave pedal with mixed results. What I'm looking for is octave up. It tracks ok but has a hard time with the low e and b string. Would the micro pog handle this task better?

2. CopperheadLXXIX

CopperheadLXXIX

Aug 9, 2003
    Jax, FL
    The Micropog will track better, but is a pretty different sounding animal compared to the EBS. If you want octave up, get the Micropog, EBS only does octave down.

3. Brattbugg

Jun 28, 2009
    Motor City
    Yeah that is my issue with the EBS. The pog tracks well?

4. Brattbugg

Jun 28, 2009
    Motor City
    Does the pog track down?

5. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    The uPog will do one octave up and down simultaneously. It's digital so it tracks pretty gosh darn well. The POG and POG2 both do 2 octaves up and down.

6. jaysbassspace

jaysbassspace Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2010
    Hoboken, NJ
    Very happy with my Pog. U can pick it up used for bout 100. Well worth it

7. Damn you TB, just when you think the flipping is over you throw a better octaver in my face.

8. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
  9. with "digital octave" it doesn't so much "track" as "pitch shift", hence the lower note & multi note capability, speed of pitched effect & difference in tone.

10. droo46

droo46

Jun 16, 2011
    I've had good results using the Digitech Bass Synth Wah. I didn't buy it with the intention of replacing my Octabass but I may just get rid of the EBS pedal...

11. Vlad5

Vlad5 Chronic Knob Twiddling Tone Chaser

Feb 17, 2011
    New England
    Um... its worth a lot to me! I'm super interested. I love making my bass sound like a pipe organ. :hyper:

12. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Glad I can get someone excited! Sadly it won't be available for March. Which means we can have all of February to wait for/drool over clips. I'll post them as soon as I find some.

13. Knettgummi

Knettgummi

Sep 28, 2011
    I trust anyone who has/finds clips and info on the Organizer to start a separate thread on it. Really interested in that little treat - if it has <100mA power draw and tracks nearly as well as a POG then I'm all over it. A tall order I suppose, but a man can dream...

14. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    FWIW the best octave up pedal out there is the 100% analog TWA Great Divide, it does octave up, and a whole bunch of other things. It's also $500. Personally I don't like the sound of the pog, much prefer analog octave pedals, MXR BOD, Boss OC-2, etc.

15. jimodoherty

jimodoherty

Nov 15, 2011
    Hi guys,

I tried a MicroPog out on a jazz bass the other day in a shop and have been after the sound for ages. I noticed tuning issues between the octaves as I played further and further up the neck.

Just realised now that I didn't play around with the pickup volumes on the bass, could this have affected it?

Just wondering if anyone else had experienced any poor tuning with the MicroPog? Any help would be much appreciated.

16. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    I assume you mean the Micro Pog. I've seen lots of them on eBay, but very few for $100.

17. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    The Digitech doesn't do an octave up though, right? THat's what the OP wants.

18. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    So happy with the Micro Pog I recently got!
    I used to have an EBS Octabass, but it crapped out and stopped dividing anything below an octave up E. :rollno:
    The Micro Pog tracks perfect and the octave up and down feature just sounds awesome.

19. Explorer

Explorer

Jul 4, 2010
    I believe what you heard was the reality of the upper harmonics on a thick string going progressively out of tune as you move up the neck, and that using a pitch shifter makes that inharmonicity more audible/noticeable.

If I run a synth through the POG2, and if my patch doesn't have any stretch as I head up, there is no inharmonicity revealed. Similarly, if I'm feeding it my 8-string guitar (top to bottom EADGCFAD), then I can get noticeable inharmonicity on the low E1 string playing A2 at fret 17 when shifting it up, yet not when fretting A2 at the second fret on my G2 string.

In other words, the problem is a limitation of the instrument being revealed (the partials/upper harmonics of the plucked string are out of tune as you head up the neck), and not the pedal doing the shifting in a wrong way.

Emre Hanli likes this.