1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Micro Pog vs OC2

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Darknut, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Darknut

Darknut

Apr 4, 2009
    The OC2 gets a lot of love here on TB but it just baffles me why anyone would pick a OC2 over a Micro Pog or even some of the other octave pedals out there.

I bought a OC2 back when they came out & used it for years because there was nothing really better .... but that was then this is now!

I always thought the OC2 sounded pretty cool but the tracking was & is horrible.

I guess a lot of you guys are analog to the death :)

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    It's not "analog to death." The OC-2 produces a synthy tone that simply can't be replicated exactly by a digital octaver, and the MicroPog, as much as i love it, sounds absolutely nothing like an OC-2 in the octave down. The tracking isn't comparable obviously, but neither is the tone.

3. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    I hate the tone of a POG. I can't understand why anyone would pick one even if they were free. Seriously, but that's just my opinion. Ears are kinda weird or maybe it's the gray matter in between them. ;-)

4. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    In a live band situation, whatever tone nuances there are is swallowed up by loud guitar and Animal on drums going on (obviously I'm describing a rock band), so the tracking becomes more important to me.

5. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

Jul 23, 2009
    Tokyo, Japan
    I love the POG's tone. But I'm not really one for very dirty tones

6. Darknut

Darknut

Apr 4, 2009
    I agree the Pog & OC2 sound nothing alike on the low octave ... but the OC2 tracking is SOO bad unless your above the 9th or 10th fret .... at least on all the ones I've ever heard.

I mostly use the Pog high octave for what I do.

My Zoom Multistomp emulates the OC2 very well & tracks just as bad on the low stuff :)

7. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    Open strings don't track well, but other than that I can track down to a low G on my OC-2. F# seems to be the limit.

8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I'd disagree with the tone being swallowed up on when comparing those two. The tonal difference is bigger than that between a P and a J or other bigger ones IMO. The Micro POG is extremely clean, and an OC-2 can sound like a straight-up keyboard.

9. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

+1. And that's one reason why I've had one since 1990 (bought it used, and it still works!)

I've never tried the POG, but I do have a digital option in my signal chain in the form of the Boss ME50B multi. When tracking is a major issue, that's the one I use. But it doesn't move near as much air as the OC2. And sometimes the glitching can be a cool effect in the right kind of tune.

Glitching can also be kept to a minimum by playing light and staccato.

10. Darknut

Darknut

Apr 4, 2009
    To me tracking is everything, especially live were there are no do overs.
    It doesn't matter how cool a pedal sounds, if it glitches a lot.

I used a OC2 for a decade so I know the pedal inside out & the glitchy tracking always drove me nuts.