1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Micro Preamp - do they exist?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by esoxhntr, Mar 10, 2010.

1. esoxhntr

esoxhntr Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2007
    Markham, Ontario
    Has anyone seen, or is anyone using a small bass preamp? I'm looking for something about the size of an Avalon U5, but with a reasonably comprehensive set of tone controls. I do know about the Sansamp, just wondering if there is anthing more "upscale" for lack of a better term.

2. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    There are loads of them, but the catch is that you have to be very specific about the functions and specs you need.

For one thing, most people consider the U5 "massively oversized and inconvenient", not "micro" at all. So are you actually looking for something small, or are you looking for a behemoth like the U5 but with more tone controls?

For another, the U5 is already pretty upscale in terms of price--did you mean you want something at an even higher price/status point, or did you mean upscale like "has more knobs"?

3. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    Shoot, there's a bunch of good preamps in pedal form that I wouldn't hesitate to solely rely on for pushing a power amp, or running to the FOH.

4. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Mod a pedal for balanced, done :)

5. Deepwoods

Deepwoods Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2003
    St. Louis
    Phil Jones Bass Buddy.

6. EBS Microbass II is quite small and very versatile - has served me faithfully for a few years now and is often all I take to a gig or studio - just patch it into the supplied backline's FX return and your sound is good to go. can run off phantom power which is very handy too

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    i'm going to use a sansamp vt bass pedal as a pre in my backup/tiny rig. there are literally tons of pedal sized pres. some great, some not so great.

8. esoxhntr

esoxhntr Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2007
    Markham, Ontario
    Thank you - I had a good laugh over that. :)

An Avalon with more tone controls would be perfect. The Phil Jones Bass Buddy looks like the right kind of thing too. I would rather stay away from the "footpedal style" of preamp if possible, though have no real reason for saying that.

I would prefer a decent set of tone controls, and am not really interested in overdrive or effect capability, I just want to drive a power amp cleanly and clearly. I think the local music shop has both the Sansamp and the EBS, so I'll give them a shot too. But please, keep the suggestions coming.

9. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
  10. OldogNewTrick

OldogNewTrick

Dec 28, 2004
    Germany, EU
  11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 26, 2020