1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Micro Q-Tron into 2880 = clipping

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mtto, Apr 5, 2009.

1. mtto

mtto Supporting Member

May 25, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hi,

I posted this issue on the EH.com forum as well. I hope the multi-posting is OK. I searched and searched the talkbass forum looking for the answer to this and couldn't find it.

I'm fairly new to pedals. I recently added a Micro Q-Tron and 2880 looper to my formerly lone Fulltone Bassdrive.

When I run the Q-Tron into the 2880, the 2880 clips even with the input all the way off. For now I am leaving the Fulltone out of the equation since it sounds fine in combination with either of the two EHX pedals.

I want to be able to loop my filtered awesomeness of the Q-Tron. I tried the internal trim pot but was unable to get great results.

What if I run the Fulltone and the Q-Tron directly into my amp and then put the 2880 on the effects loop of my amp? Or should I do the opposite?

Thanks for the help.

-John

2. Jactap

Jactap

Aug 4, 2006
    Bremerton, Wa
    A compressor after the Q-tron should even out some of the filter peaks. Running the 2880 through the fx loop might help but I'm not sure.

I've been wanting a micro Q-tron for a while now. I actually have the money for one but I need to buy clarinet reeds. The curse of being playing more than one instrument.

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yep, the problem comes from the amplitude peaks of the resonant filter, and the only solution is to use a limiter (a compressor at a high ratio).

4. mtto

mtto Supporting Member

May 25, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    I tried the fx loop on my amp for the 2880. I'm able to adjust the dry/wet balance, which makes the clipping less obvious (the dry signal isn't clipping), but the compromise is the 2880 loop is 1/2 as loud - not acceptable. I could try the other way around, but I know I don't want dry signal mixed with the envelop filter and distortion.

A limiter is the obvious solution. I know that will solve the problem. But it also changes my tone and requires me to stomp on two boxes to get one effect. I read some of the reviews on Bongomania's compressor reviews link (thanks for that!) and it seems that many of them introduce artifacts. Plus I don't want to buy another pedal this week just because the first two I bought (made by the same company!) aren't compatible. A bummer all around.

There are two other solutions: (1) maybe the 2880 input gain can be modded? or (2) I leave the 2880 at home, or just for solo bass gigs.

5. Micro Qtron has a trimpot that controls maximum peak freq that may want some tweaking. It's helped a lot of people around here tame the Micro Qtron beast.