1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Micro Q-Tron = True Bypass?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Craig_S, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    I have a micro q-tron on my pedalboard. I just noticed a signal issue when I used my headphones to check my effect settings. I'm losing some high end at the q-tron, it seems. I bypassed every pedal, one at a time. I'm positive it's the culprit. I don't even want it on my board, now... :( :spit:

Aren't the micro Q-Trons supposed to be true bypass? Why would my signal take a hit when the pedal isn't on?

2. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    Nobody else notices the same with their q-tron, or am I way late on this?

3. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Oregon, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    It's true bypass according to the website. What are the other pedals you're using? And when you say you bypassed all your other pedals, do you mean you took them out of your signal path, or you just pressed the bypass switch?

If you didn't have the problem when you had some buffered bypass pedals in your chain, but then you took them out, leaving only the true bypass QTron in your chain, the problem is that your cables are cutting highs due to the lowpass filter formed by your volume knob combined with the cables' capacitance. You don't hear this when you have a buffer in your chain, but when all you have there is the Q-Tron, you miss out on the buffering and the capacitance of your cable can actually be heard.

4. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    I took the pedals out of the signal path, one by one.

I opened up the micro Q-Tron and took a look inside. It looks to me like the signal still goes through the circuit board. There is a ribbon cable going from the switch to the board. I don't think I'd be losing anything if it was a real 'true bypass'.

The issue is there when the pedal is connected between multiple others. It's not there when I remove the Q-Tron from the chain. That's it. I haven't tested it on it's own.

5. Taylor Livingston

Dec 25, 2002
    Oregon, US
    It's real true bypass, I promise. The reason it's wired that way is so they can have onboard jacks and everything is wave soldered.

So yeah, if this is your only true bypass pedal, and you have treble loss when only this pedal is in the chain, bypassed, it's because this pedal is true bypass that you have this problem (well, it's because of your cables, but the reason it shows up with this pedal only is that the others are buffered).

Edit: just read your edit. Well, that's pretty strange. Could be that extra patch cable you're using to connect the Q-Tron. It's a stretch, but even in the case of manufacturing error, I can't imagine a situation in which the Q-tron's bypass would still work but cut highs. Very weird indeed.

6. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    Yeah. I don't get it. Without the Q-tron in the chain, the pedalboard signal and the straight in--no peadalboard--signal sound nearly identical.

7. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    Is there some sort of rule about where a true bypass pedal should be in the chain (like first or last), if it's used along with buffered pedals?

8. Taylor Livingston

Dec 25, 2002
    Oregon, US
    A lot of people like to put a buffered pedal at the front of the chain, after that, it doesn't matter. A true bypass pedal acts just like a wire. If your Q-Tron really is changing your sound when it's bypassed, something's wrong with it.

9. GroovinOnFunk

GroovinOnFunk Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Endorses Cleartone and SIT Strings
    I have a Micro Q-tron as well. Definitely tru bypass. Have you tried messing with the trim pot inside? I know I had some serious volume spikes when I started with it.

Now I run my micro q-tron into a line selector and use the hi or band pass settings and it sounds luscious!

10. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    The pedal seems to be working fine. I had it in between a Boss CE-20 and OC-2. I just moved it to the front of the chain. I still lost a bit. It seems a little better, I think. :confused: Without putting it back the way it was, I won't know how much of a difference.

I've never touched the trim pots. The volume difference is noticeable, but not a serious or dangerous boost.