Micro Q-Tron Volume Mod?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by topaxi, Feb 11, 2021.

Tags:
  1. topaxi

topaxi

Sep 29, 2018
    Just got the pedal, love the sound, but the volume boost was not advertised when I bought it. Have read about people modding it to reduce the output, but can find literally no tutorials online. Anything is either just people posting about having done it, or dead links.

Anyone have a working link to a tutorial, or can explain to me how to do it? Also keen do put a wet/dry blend on there for BP and HP modes.

2. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    The Micro Q Tron is basically unusable because of this volume issue. Easiest way to mod it would probably be to add a volume pot after the circuit as it goes back to the switch. Blends can be a pain to make within the pedal - especially one with completely uncontrollable volume. You're probably better off with an LS-2 or something like to both blend and reign in that volume spike.

BrentSimons and Rabidhamster like this.
  3. Rabidhamster

Rabidhamster

Jan 15, 2014
    https://www.freestompboxes.org/download/file.php?id=4001&mode=view

Here’s the schematic, it looks like the only differences in the micro are the supply voltage and 1 extra diode, which wouldnt affect the volume mod.
    It looks like most folks put a 10k potentiometer on the effect output before it goes to the switch. If you just want to choose a lower volume and stick with it you could experiment with changing the resistor there on the effect output. 2m2, 2.2megaohm, could be lowered and lose volume.

The blend would require another op amp or similar and probably wouldn’t be feasible here. An external pedal would do better.

Swimming Bird likes this.
  4. topaxi

topaxi

Sep 29, 2018
    I already have an LS-2 to blend back my bass signal after my distortion pedal. Great idea, I just don't really want two of them on the same board.

Thanks! I'll have a look at the circuitry and see if I can work out what's happening. Would kill for a tute with actual pictures of the circuit, with like "cut here", "solder this here" and arrows etc. I know a bit about electronics but working out the circuit from that diagram seems a bit daunting. Appreciate the help though!

Side note, has anyone here messed with the Micro-tron pedal?

Rabidhamster likes this.
  5. Rabidhamster

Rabidhamster

Jan 15, 2014
    If you’d like to take it apart and send high resolution, clear photos of both sides of the circuit board I might be able to help with a semblance of a tutorial. You’ll mostly just be working backward from the output Jack to the mode switch

old_skool likes this.
  6. Slackjawe

Slackjawe

Jun 7, 2021
    Did this ever get modded? I have one that I would love to do the same thing, but I'm not sure where to put it on the circuit board.

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks again all.

Attached Files:

7. A compressor after my Mini Q-Tron solved the problem, really. Maybe the old Mini (vs. the micro) doesn’t have quite the same issue…

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 28, 2022