1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Micro Q tron VS BassBalls

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by txl, Dec 4, 2006.

1. txl

txl

Mar 19, 2006
    I am considering to choose which one, although i know it is both different sound.
    I prefer a smooth, funky and more low end sound.

For bassball, as i see the demostration on youtube, the sound seems too much treble for me. But i dunno is that guy hv max the tone or not on the bass.

For Micro Q tron, I do not have chance to try, and all demo are using guitars, also it is not like bassball which is design for bass.
    And i see some TBer complain about the volume problem on Mini Q tron before. I dunno the new one have solve the problem or not.

Very hard to choose. Any comment of the comparsion of this 2 pedals?

* I have already search many post already, but seems can't find a answer for me :(

2. CallMeBlind

CallMeBlind

Jul 19, 2003
    France
    Can't help much, as I've never played Bass Balls nad Micro Q-tron, but I had Mini Q-tron. It had that volume problem you are talking about. And I wasn't satisfied whith its sound at that moment, so I sold it, later I bought Moogerfooger, then also sold it, now I have MXW Bass Auto Q and I think I miss the sound I had from my Mini Q-tron. I'd like to have it with no volume boost. Btw, if you are interested, I have few tunes recorded in local club, where I'm playing through Mini Q.

3. Andy V.

Andy V.

Nov 5, 2006
    Dumbo, NY
    The bassballs is a dual filter pedal.
    If you are looking for a simple envelope filter, go with the q.

4. MammaryVest

MammaryVest

Oct 18, 2006
    Stoneham, MA
    I have a Russian Bassballs, and I'm kind of disapointed in it. I think partially due to the fact that I don't nessessarily know how to use it well, or what one would use it for.

5. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    I tried out the Micro Q-Tron a few weeks back, and it's great. The Bassballs is a great-sounding filter, but the Q-Tron seems more usable to me for a variety of music. They're very different pedals, to say the least.

There isn't exactly a "volume" problem with the Micro Q-Tron - it's just that only one of the settings - the Low-Pass mode - works beautifully with bass. That particular mode even boosts your bass a bit!

The other two modes (Band Pass and High Pass) kill the low end.

I've been thinking of getting a Micro Q-Tron and trying it out with my blend pedal, to mix in my clean signal with those other modes to see how they sound then.

I should point out that there's a misprint on the Micro Q-Tron pedals I've seen so far; the High-Pass and Low-Pass labels are mixed up, so setting it to Low-Pass engages High-Pass, and vice-versa. It's just a labeling issue, that's all.

6. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    try them out. they're very different beasts. i have a regular Q-Tron+ and a USA BassBalls. I love them both, but i definately use them in different contexts.

7. I just tried the Nano bassballs the other day, and I liked it alot.

8. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    to me, qtrons are more versatile. i'd go with that one first.

and then the bassballs later. :)

9. My USA Bassballs is a keeper. I like the sound I get with the sensitivity control set at 8 o'clock and no distortion. It is somewhat Mu-tron-like. I have never dabbled with the Q-tron family, but have been told that they are the successor to the Mu-tron. The MXR Bass Auto-Q sounded great on a test-drive, as did an EBS pedal in the same category ,when I tested them at the local shop a year or so ago. It really is a matter of taste and how much you will use such an effect. Since my usage is only occasional, I am happy with the USA Bassballs set as described here.