1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Micro Rigs You Gig... a Lack of the Groans

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Vic, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Ok, so here's the way we play this game...

The "challenge" here, is to show a rig that's truly gig'able, yet surprisingly small for it's gig-ability (output level). The idea is to show a rig that would turn heads and get folks to say stuff like "Holy crap, all that's coming from that little rig??". :)

The key is in defining what "Micro" and "Gig-able" really mean. Here it is...

Micro:
    EVERYTHING you need has to be carry-able in ONE TRIP, and EASILY. This means you have to be able to navigate doors, stairs, and potentially modest to longer walks without help and without using a cart of any kind. Think bus rides, subways, train rides, etc. The truly "mobile musician". :)

For example, you can sling the bass and whatever you fit it its case over your back, carry a combo in one hand and accessories bag in the other, or a head or small combo in one hand, small extension cab in the other, etc. You get the idea. You get extra points if you can leave a hand free to carry coffee (or whatever your caffeinated drink of choice is). :D

The point is, this is not about pushing the limits of what you can carry. It's the opposite. It's about pushing the limits of how little you have to carry. :)

Gig-able:
    This one, I think we can easily quantify and also be flexible with. Acoustic drums and at least one other instrument has to be present. It can be anything from a small jazz combo to a "well-stage-behaved" dance/rock band, but you gotta' be able to keep up with acoustic drums and at least one other instrument... guitar, keyboard, grand piano, etc.

Alright, let's have some FUN! :)

2. The Diaper Geni

The Diaper Geni Submissive. And loving it. Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2005
    Central Ohio
    DOH! I'm out!

Though not becasue my rig isn't small. It's just that I'm a wimp!

3. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I just survived this situation this past Saturday evening. I played a small cafe/coffee shop with my trio (guitar/bass/drums). I played the gig with my "rehearsal rig". This consists of my Nordy vJ5 in the nordstrand gig bag. In the pockets of this gig bag I was able to put the required cables, as well as my Markbass F1, tuner, small tool kit, and Zoom H2 to record it all. For a cab I used my Bergantino AE210. This is one trip for me with the bass on my back and the cab in my hands. It worked surprisingly well for this gig.

So just to recap:

Nordy vJ5
    Markbass F1
    Bergantino AE210

4. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

IMO, the best ratio of weight/tone/volume I've ever experienced. A true 'one hander' with the 30 pound Schroeder 115L+ (lighter then the majority of 112's and smaller than some). At 4ohms, the F1 (under 5 pounds) puts out a wumping 500 watts into the 15 with tweeter. While physics is physics and it won't rattle the ashtrays in the back of the room, it will truly do a '410 sized gig' with no problems:bassist:

Of course, I use a small Kart-a-bag handtruck because there's no reason not to!

s115_1.

5. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

I'll be the first to admit that this setup is especially impressive, even though I ultimately decided the 15+L wasn't for me.

6. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    I guess if the rig is small enough that you can pretty easily deal with stairs with it on the cart, that's probably still in the size class I'm thinking. As long as the focus still on particularly small for a truly gig-able rig, we should be good.

7. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

It's surely not for everyone (no cab is). As you know, it's VERY quick, very tight, very punchy, but quite even with a real 'kick you in the chest' response. I describe it as being the biggest, loudest 110 ever put on the planet:D

MrWolf14 likes this.
  8. jkdahlman

jkdahlman Ambitious But Rubbish

Jul 13, 2004
    Baltimore, MD
    My regular rig for casuals is a LM II & stuff in a small bag, Epi UL112 & NS BassCello over the shoulder. Easy 1 trip, no cart & can keep up with most 3 or 4 piece groups I work with. If I need more, I add an Epi 110 but, that's just awkward enough to make me put it all on a small cart if the room isn't near the entry door.

9. MX21

MX21

Sep 28, 2007
    Grass Valley, CA
    Here's mine:

Just finished my ┬ÁROD. It's a fEarful 12/6 built from plans/discussion here. 39 pound cab with 12 and 6 inch drivers. GB Shuttle 6.0 head. 43 pounds total. 375W into 8Ω. Plenty of oomph.

attachment.

Eminence 3012LF
    Eminence Alpha-6A
    Eminence PXB2:800 xo

Cab it one hand, bass with head and cables in gig bag on back. Cup of favorite drink in the other hand.

Tell me if this is too big.

MX

10. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I can easily lift it over my head with one hand. It's amazing that it's 6 pounds lighter than the current Epi112UL, and will keep up with two of them.

This is a difficult category, since the typical 112 cab or whatever isn't really that unique. There's not much out there that can truly do virtually any gig, and still be a one hander IMO and IME. Even a 210 never really achieved this for me.

I only use a cart because I'm not an idiot:p However, I like your criteria. If you can't carry the whole rig a couple of blocks with no problems, then keep it out of the thread! With the F1 in my Mooradian bag over my shoulder, the bass on my back, and this in one hand, I can do two blocks with no problems and keep up with a 7 piece funk band playing full bore on the gig.

11. CElton

CElton I'm a new note finder...

Nooooooo....you're already caving! :D

Just kidding, thanks for starting the thread.

12. CElton

CElton I'm a new note finder...

:D I'm just givining him a hard time. I learned along time ago that loading in and out is no time to be a hero. If it can go on wheels, it goes on wheels. :cool:

mexicanyella likes this.
  13. Ezbass

Ezbass

Apr 3, 2008
    U.K.
    I use this in a loud 7 piece. I once turned it all the way up at rehearsal, once.

P9080001.
    Mark Bass LMII and Schroeder 1212L (4 ohm)

14. I guess I can play this game!!

My 'micro' rig is a Markbass LMK head into a custom built Patterson Audio 1x10 coaxial bass cab.
    I usually have the LMK in a backpack laptop compartment. I have a bunch of other crap in the backpack as well - DI, tuner, various cables, tools, fake books/charts, etc...

I put the backpack on, then my gig bag on one shoulder, and I carry the cab in one hand! I still have a hand free to open doors, or carry a coffee!

I've used this rig indoors and outdoors with up to a 6 piece latin band with drum kit, percussion, violin, keyboard/accordion, guitar, and me. Amazing!

I'm swapping the LMK out for a Shuttle 3.0, so my rig will be slightly smaller soon!

15. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    No I didn't. The reason I thought it would still be ok was because I DID get what you said. :)

This thread is supposed to be fun... I'm NOT gonna' be hyper particular about stuff. I just ask that folks really do try to stay in the spirit of things is all. :)

16. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Oh, the other "fun" part about this is if you post a pic of yourself with everything in "mobile mode" I think that'd be cool, and again, bonus points if you're holding a drink! :D :D :D :D

17. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

For me, a single Eden D112XLT and the WTX-260 head do the job with lots of gigs.

18. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Have any of you guys tried out the Phil Jones Briefcase amp ? My fear is that it would be way too quiet for all but the quietest of gigs.

19. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

+1... just being goofy and giddy seeing all this lightweight stuff!

20. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

You would be correct in that assumption.