1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Micro, vers Regular/Neo cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by woody357, Mar 6, 2010.

1. woody357

woody357 Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2005
    I have been looking at the new Gallien Kruger MBE cabinets, mainly the MBE 212, my question is other than weight what do I loose with the Micro cabinets. I see there are a lot of people here that use the Little Mark and other stuff like that. Has anyone A/B the different types of cabinets Micro, verses Regular/Neo. I’d really like to hear what people have to say thank you.

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Probably bass. More than any other factor the bass response of a cab is related to its size. The number one reason for thin low end is using too large a driver and/or too many drivers in too small a cabinet. OTOH what you do get from too small a cab is exaggerated midbass, more commonly known as 'boom'.

3. woody357

Jun 17, 2005
    Thank you Bill, I don't want boom. I want punch, and smooth bass. I'll have to rethink this. I just sold my old Hartke vx 410, but i still have my Yorkville xc115. I was trying to go lighter, and save my back, maybe I should look at the Neo stuff.

4. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    There's nothing wrong with neos. It's possible to get smaller sized cabs that don't sacrifice low end, but doing so requires longer excursion (and more expensive) drivers and more power to push them with.

5. woody357

Jun 17, 2005
    Well I use a GK 800rb head, any suggestions? I was looking at the GK Neo, and their MBE cabinets. The price, and wt were right.

6. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Since no manufacturer publishes SPL charts or displacement limited power figures there's no way to compare anything except by playing through them.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 27, 2020