1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Micro VR/210av & BA-115 together

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DieTired, Aug 18, 2020.

1. Rock what you got! (Running two amps together)

7 vote(s)
    77.8%
  2. Drop the BA-115, get a true 115 cabinet, keep 210av

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. Get rid of it all for Portaflex series

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  4. Stop obsessing and just play the damn thing

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. DieTired

DieTired

Feb 22, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    Hello all! Long time reader, first time poster. I have sort of a strange topic that I’m curious to hear some takes on.

For a long time I’ve been playing through a BA-115 combo amp. For the most part, it serves my purposes but never really nailed that ampeg tone that a lot of us love. Recently I found a Micro VR with one 210av for sale for $300. Seemed like too good of a deal to walk away from. If nothing else, I have a great head/pre-amp for recording purposes. So anyway, I took it to band practice and found that it gave a really cool tone but didn’t carry the warm lows that I’m used to. (This was to be expected). Though I was a little disappointed in just how much low end I lost.

Our guitar player had a pedal sitting around that allows you to send one input instrument cable into it and send two output cables out of it. So, I sent one cable to the micro and one to the combo. Once I got the volumes in a relatively good volume unity, the tone was incredible! Perfect SVT style mids/grinds with really warm/full low end.

I’m just curious what some other bass players think about this set up. Is it a bit ridiculous/cumbersome/redundant to always play two amps together? Or is it kinda cool? Also, any advice on specifically eq-ing each amp? I basically eq’d the micro with out the combo on until I got the ampeg tone I wanted. Then I boosted the lows on the combo, cut the mids and highs, and rolled the volume knob until it sounded tight. One last question: am I technically running 300watts since they’re both 150? Playing them together was noticeably louder than separate.

Matching the combo amp grill cloth to the 210av just might be the ticket ;)

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
    12BitSlab and Rockinscott69 like this.
  2. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    If it sounds good to you and you don't mind moving two amps then I say run 'em both!

gitfiddl, Rockinscott69 and DieTired like this.
  3. BogeyBass

BogeyBass Inactive

Sep 14, 2010
    210av works for some.
    But is definitely a small cab with pretty cheap speakers.
    Used 410HE is fun cab. Could power that with the micro vr.

Over the years have mixed all kinds of combos for fun. Including a pair of the BA115 combos. Older version not the new ones. Just kinda silly for some, works for others. I'm just using a 810E
    And haven't cared to need anything else.
    One head ,one cab, two cords and done

4. lowendrv

lowendrv

Dec 12, 2007
    SoCal
    Will work fine . Make it easier . Get rid of the splitter . Just run the Micro VR pre amp send to BA 115 return , Or visa versa . That way you can control volume and tone from only one of preamps .

5. 12BitSlab

12BitSlab Gold Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Liberty Township
    I have used the same combination that you are running and I like the sound very much.

6. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    Run them both together using a Sansamp as a splitter or a simple A/B box.

7. DieTired

DieTired

Feb 22, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    Would love to run an 810 at some point in my life! Currently I don’t have the need or the funds for it. But one can dream!

8. DieTired

DieTired

Feb 22, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    The pedal I’m using is essentially an A/B box. What’s the benefit of the sansamp?

12BitSlab likes this.
  9. DieTired

DieTired

Feb 22, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    Glad to hear it!!

12BitSlab likes this.
  10. DieTired

DieTired

Feb 22, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    I was curious if that would work or not. I’ll give it a shot, thanks!

11. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    I would think that since you're using 2 separate and different amps/cabs, you'd want the flexibility of EQing them separately. Worth a try though!

12. lowendrv

lowendrv

Dec 12, 2007
    SoCal
    Use of only one preamp cuts down the chance of any eq combing effect .

johnpbass likes this.
  13. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles Inactive

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody notices
    I voted yes, keep at it. But me, id just pick up another 210av

CTBassGuy likes this.
  14. DieTired

DieTired

Feb 22, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    I do think that would help quite a bit as far as keeping a clean tone at higher volumes. How much a difference does the second 210 can make?

15. DieTired

DieTired

Feb 22, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    I’ll give both a shot and see which sounds the best.

16. lowendrv

lowendrv

Dec 12, 2007
    SoCal
    I run two with a PF 500 or PF 50T and it's loud enough for any gig .

17. DieTired

DieTired

Feb 22, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    Cool! I’ll keep that in mind.

lowendrv likes this.
  18. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    Sansamp has 3 outputs. You can run a post-EQ signal into one amp and one pre-eq into the other while the XLR goes direct to the PA. If you mic both combos you can play Geddy Lee and run 3 signals to the board!

19. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles Inactive

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody notices
    A lot more than the 15

DieTired likes this.
  20. DieTired

DieTired

Feb 22, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    I’m digging that idea! I’ll definitely look into that. Thanks for the info!

jeff7bass likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 24, 2021