micro vr and 210av

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by peetmoloko, Jul 31, 2015.

1. I play a rickenbacker through an ampeg micro vr with the 210av cab. The sound is great, really punchy, I can dial in exactly the tone I want. I just find that I'm lacking a little low end and volume. I really want to be able to feel the bass more at practice when I'm standing two feet away from my drummer and he's beating the crap out of his kit.

I had thought about getting another 210av cab, but have heard of people experiencing fart noises with the 2 210av cabs hooked up. So would it be a better idea to get a 112 or 115 cab and use that with my 210? Can I do that? Any recommendations? All thoughts on this are appreciated.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  2. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    I haven't heard of the farting sounds, but it makes sense to me you'll get much more volume with two cabs instead of one.

3. Bass_Thumper

Bass_Thumper

Oct 20, 2009
    Madison, MS
    Another 2x10 giving you 4x10 will certainly give you plenty of low end.

If you want to mix them up, just be sure to take your rig with you so that you can hear what it sounds like at gig volume. I personally play a Markbass 15 with an Aguilar GS112 and to my ears, the classic sounding aguilar cab blends very nicely with the mid forward MarkBass cab. I know I'm breaking the rules by doing it and it may not look good on paper (I wouldn't know because I'm not going to check) but I just use my ears and it sounds great and has provided reliable service for a few years now. Just be sure and give it a good listen before buying. In that case, I wouldn't order without testing first.

4. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    I've put a sealed 1x15 under my SVT212AV and it sounded fine and quite a bit louder. I have had nasty amp distortion issues with a 4 ohm 2x12 cab when the Micro VR is turned up that never happen with an 8 ohm cab so good luck :nailbiting:.

5. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    The Micro VR stack with 2x SVT-210AV cabs is a great rig.

2ev6u7k.jpg

But if you're looking to "feel the bass", I don't know that it's the best rig for that. They're light to medium duty cabs, and they sound great. But in a band context, with a hard hitting drummer, I think you'll need a bigger boat. Which is why I ended up getting the 810. Of course, the 810 doesn't fit in my Honda Civic. Which is why I ended up getting a pair of SVT-15e's.

oftvkx.jpg

They fit in my car, and I can still "feel the bass". Small, sealed 10" cabs make for a great sound, but you need a lot of them to feel the bass. A couple of ported 15's push a lot of air, down low. I got these used for $450 for the pair. And they do great with the Micro VR head as well.

Your milage may vary.

BassGreaser likes this.
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    You could do what I do and just boost the bass on the amp a bit. True, it's not quite like feeling the bigness of the 810e, but it's in the ballpark.

BassGreaser likes this.
  7. tedious1

tedious1

Feb 14, 2014
    And if that isn't quite close enough for you, try wearing shorts, damn pants get in the way of the breeze...

Sorry Jimmy, I just had to...

rolandm, RoadRanger and JimmyM like this.
  8. Joce

Joce

Jul 20, 2005
    Europe
    Adding another cab won't fix the lack of low end of your Ric :D
    Kidding aside, adding another 210AV is your best bet.

9. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    Or use the 810 and get a bigger car:D

mapleglo likes this.
  10. bassrich

bassrich

Nov 20, 2011
    Sarasota, FL
    Adding a second 210av definitely boosts the low end while remaining punchy

11. bassrich

bassrich

Nov 20, 2011
    Sarasota, FL
    Adding a second 210av definitely boosts the low end while remaining punchy

12. I think the problem he is referring to is specifically about the Micro VR and two 210 AV's. I highly endorse (2) 210AV's, you just might wanna look at a PF-350/500/800 to pair with them.

13. great bleudini

great bleudini

Sep 19, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    I plugged my micro-vr into my 2X15 cab and it was a big difference over the 2X10. A lot more low end and volume.

mapleglo likes this.
  14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 3, 2021