1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Micro VR Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Immigrant, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Yes, I searched but was not satisfied with what I found.

I know at least one of you will be able to answer this.

I'm GASing for a Micro-VR stack. I've also been considering the Micro-CL because it's a little cheaper and it would match my big rig. What I'm wondering... will the VR head power an SVT410HLF? I have two of 'em, sometimes use only one, and would like to have a micro stack and if the head can DECENTLY power one cabinet, I would have a little more flexibility. I mean leave the heavy CL head at home.

Thanks for any answers I can get.

2. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    It will power it, but it will probably handle all of it. . I assume if you have two 410hlfs, you like it loud and low. There are better matching amps out there for high output. It will do as well as any other 250 watt amp will.
    Wes

3. Thank you.

I think I'm trying to justify (to myself) getting the Micro-VR stack over the Micro-CL.

My other option is to get the CL and find a used, more powerful head later. I'm in no hurry for a backup now anyway.

Thanks again for responding.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I would get a PF500 in your shoes, or at least a PF350. A Micro VR could get it up to a decent level, but the 410hlf goes super low and that eats up more wattage than a cab that doesn't go as low, so depending on your volume levels there's a good chance it could run out of juice on a gig. And the Micro CL is only designed to run at 8 ohms, and can't do 4 ohms so it can't work with a 410hlf. The Micro VR does look awesome, but the PF500 is the more practical solution. PF350's a good amp too and sounds just like the Micro VR, but the extra wattage of the PF500 and the extra features it has will likely come in handy for you.

5. Thanks Jimmy.

The PFs have been tugging at me also. I saw a couple at BigBox and probably would've bought one or the other but they had none IN boxes and to me, buying the demo at full price just doesn't cut it.

I had suspicions about trying to power a 410HLF with the VR head.

I probably should just buy the Micro-VR for home play and man up and drag my big CL everywhere, which won't be often because I'm currently not in a band anyway. I knew how much it weighed before I bought it, but I HAD to have it. It's the King.

6. HeyyyyyJoe

HeyyyyyJoe Yahtzeeee Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    The backline at one my last gigs was a Micro VR head with an Ampeg 410HLF. The thing got loud, but the head started to cut out after a little while so I had to lower the volume to get through the set. IMO, get a more powerful head if you want to hook it up to a 410HLF.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You know, that's what I recently started doing again. Really enjoy the lack of a schlep with the micro stuff, but the SVT rules my world.

8. Yep, love my micros too but keep coming back to my SVT.