Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

microbass mod suggestions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LAKLAND011, Jun 30, 2001.

1. I have a Peavey Microbass that I use for practicing and occaisional acoustic coffeehouse gigs. It's a measley 20 watts, but serves it's purposes very well. It could serve them better.

The amp speaker breaks up (starts to distort) even when not really pushed (control wise).

Heres my question: What kind of speaker should I buy to get the maximum headroom out of the amp?

What are the specs I should be aware of? I prefer the sound of JBL speakers and I know it's an 8 inch speaker.

Can anyone help?

peace,
    -steve

2. I don't think you have a whole lot of options if you want to just replace the driver in the Microbass. The 8" JBLs require far more cabinet volume than you have.

However, Cerwin-Vega, Diamond, and RCF make 8" bass drivers that operate well in ported boxes of 0.5 cubic feet and smaller. Download my Musician's Reference spreadsheet from my site to get the models and specs.

http://www.ofgb.org

These are very usable (-3dB) down to low E. The problem with using subwoofers is they are very dead in the higher frequencies. You really should have a mid bass driver to reproduce up to 7,000 Hz if you want full tonality. You will probably find this very noticeable if you replace your 8" with a subwoofer.

My project in this area is a makeover of my Peavey Minx 110, but with a replacement cabinet. The project is on hold because the little **** eBay seller defrauded me on my Rockford. He sent me a cheaper Rockford speaker instead of the RFR-2210 I bid on. After I get this mess straightened out, my Minx 110 will be running a 10" subwoofer plus a Peerless mid-bass driver in a replacement cabinet. I'll put the Minx guts into the new cabinet, which should only be slightly bigger than the stock Minx. This is not the easy or inexpensive way to get a better practice amp... it's just a nifty project that I want to accomplish.

When it's all said and done, in your case I'd hunt for a replacement amp. Tinkering with replacing speakers and building cabs is always far more work, more time, and more money. IMO your cash is better spent on a replacement amp instead of building up the Microbass.