Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MICROBASS

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rick Rice, Apr 8, 2003.

1. Picked up a used Peavey Microbass practice amp today for 50 bucks. Very impressed with this thing .lots of usable tones in such a portable little box, It even fits under my computer desk. Thanks to all who have sung its praises here in the past.IMO its the ideal practice amp. I swear its the best sounding Peavey I've ever played through.

2. +1 man! I own one too and have always loved it since I bought it!

3. I've got one of these as well. I've been very happy with it for very low practice levels.

However!

When I run my AmStd P-Bass through it, and turn the amp volume up to 5, EQ set: B-5, M-4, T-5, bass volume up all the way, bass tone about 75% down from full treble, the damn thing "farts" all over the place.

Do I have a problem or is this a common thing with this amp? It's still under warranty and I'm debating taking it in. Before I do, I'd like to ascertain whether this is normal or really a problem.

Thanks for some help!

4. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I own one too. I've had it for over two years and it is my main practice amp (when practicing on my own).

The tone is great for a little amp, but it does not hold up well to high volumes at all. Plus I have a 5 string and I tread lightly on the B string.

It's nothing more than a way to hear my bass when I practice...I never use it for band practice or anything other than my own little environment where I can control all the volume (such as my stereo).

While it does crap out at higher volumes, it does have really nice tone for such a small amp.

5. I had this as my first amp and although I knew nothing about amps and tone when i first started, I found it was a great little amp. It's one of the best Peavey's I've played too.

6. To Sammy & Sundogue, While I've only had this amp for a day and a half I have discovered the high volume tone loss fart issues you speak of. I practice on a 62 reissue P and Stingray 4 . Personally I don't think I'll ever need to go past 3 on the gain with this thing , its plenty loud for practicing even along with a CD player. I think this amp does what it was designed to do very well ,gives me a very nice tone for practicing in a nice little easy to move room to room package. I think Sundougue said it best in that its nothing more than a way to hear your bass while practicing.
    best 50 bucks I've spent on gear in along while.

7. I recently sold mine and bought a 200 watt yorkville. The yorkville gets loud, but the microbass sounded so much better as long as I didn't turn the volume past 5. Killer practice amp, but frustrating if you try and play with a drummer who constantly beats the crap out of his drums.

8. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I have a Peavey Minx110 that I got as my first amp for Christmas '95. It's basically a big brother to the microbass. It's solid as a rock and is a great practice amp. The Minx110 actually gets loud enough to keep up with a couple acoustic guitars and/or a piano.

9. tyson

tyson

Feb 9, 2000
    Dallas, TX
    i just tried the Peavey Microbass at Brook Mays. very nice... very good tone and volume for the $109-$129 price. they didn't have a Minx 110 in the store there but i thought of the ones they had in stock there, the Fender Bassman 25 and the SWR Workingman's 10 were the next step up. obviously that kind of wattage isn't enough for playing with a drummer or loud guitarist but the tone of the Microbass was great for a 4 string. i'm not sure why the Bassman 25 is twice the price when it really isn't twice as good as the Microbass.

10. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I have one, it's fantastic, and the tone sounds good all the way down to B if you don't get too loud. I would suggest it for anybody.