1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Microfibre/fiber cloths, etc

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by rhythm, Apr 13, 2006.

1. rhythm

rhythm

Dec 4, 2005
    Hiya,

Been reading the other posts regarding cleaning.

I've got a lovely Spector Euro 5 (pics prob on here on Sunday), and I intend to get 'Jim Dunlop Body & Fingerboard Cleaning Kit' which contains 'Fretboard 65 Ultimate Lemon Oil', and 'Formula 65 Guitar Polish & Cleaner'. I also plan to get a Microfibre/fiber polishing cloth. My question is would I need to get seperate cloths for the fretboard and the body, or would it be OK to just use the one?

Also, do you think it's important to have another seperate cloth just to wipe over the bass once I've finished using it, and only using the other cloth(s) for applying the cleaning products?

Sorry to ask so many questions, it's just I want to keep my beautiful bass in pristine condition.

TIA

2. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    Be careful with those cheap polyester microfibre cloths, some of them actually make permanent scratches as you're polishing. I'd go with the tried and true cotton shamois.

3. v-12

v-12

Mar 3, 2005
    FL Panhandle
    i use seperate cloths, just to keep the right polish on the right parts. i ordered a bunch of cheap cloths from musicians friend, and keep a few with my cleaning supplies and one in my case that is only used to wipe her down when i am finished playing. it might not be necessary, but i feel better knowing i'm not putting ANY wax/oil/etc where i don't want it.....

4. rhythm

rhythm

Dec 4, 2005
    Also, I presume the lemon oil won't 'build up' near the frets as long as the excess is wiped off will it?

Cheers.

5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I use microfiber cloths, and have absolutely no scratching. I actually use them for all my basses, some of which get 'the cloth' more than several times a week. I also use the SAME type of cloth to clean my glasses every day and in over a year, I have no scratching.

For my neck, I use a cotton cloth, as I don't want to rub neck schmutz into my bass' finish.

6. rhythm

rhythm

Dec 4, 2005
    Hiya,

Another question - whats the best way to clean the hardware (ie. tuning pegs, bridge)?