Microphone bleed-through live?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by PolkaHero, Sep 16, 2003.

1. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    My bandleader is concerned that the sound from my amp will bleed into the vocal mikes and thus overload the overall signal with bass. He asked if anybody turns their amps around so the sound doesn't bleed into the mikes. Well, then how am I suppossed to hear it?!

What do you guys do to correct this problem when playing live? Noise gates on the vocal mikes maybe? We don't have subwoofers in our P.A. so I have to crank it pretty good onstage.
  2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Turn the lows down on the mic channel.

3. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Mic bleed isn't that big a problem live. If I was micing up a cab, you can betcha I wouldn't put to mic anywhere other than right in front of it. The further away you get, the weaker the signal gets. So in reality the bass signal through the vocal mic will be too low to be of any concern. But you're band leader has a bee in his bonet so..........

It can be more of a problem if you've got really quiet singers. I find it's more of a problem for drummers' who sing. I had one recently who sang so quietly I had to boost the gain on his vocal mic to an unusually high level. But when he started playing, his snare sent the vocal mic right into the clip zone. There was nothing I could do but ask him to sing louder and play quieter, which of course he didn't, so his vocals were quiet out front.........

I'm going to give you the same advice. Get your singers to project more and keep your stge volume down. Don't go rear-facing if there's no bass in the PA.
  4. pbd

pbd Commercial User

Jul 17, 2003
    Metro Detroit
    owner Procables N Sound
    I've run front of house sound for many years and yes I have come across the 'extra sound' phenomenon from instruments leaking into the lead vocals. I use a gate and it works great! Also check your range of pickup on the mic and try to keep the mic's hot spot 'off axis' to the amps. I use a dbx compressor/gate. compressing vocals helps to bring them out louder in the mix and of course gating lets only the vox in. and,oh yes, tell your singers to sing louder. a mic can only reproduce what it gets put into it.