1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Microphone pream in effect pedal format

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by mrbaloo, Nov 25, 2017.

1. mrbaloo

mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    Sweden
    Hi

Is there a microphone preamp in a effect pedal format that fits on my pedalboard. I'm currently using a Line Audio CM3 condenser microphone attached to my double bass. This mic is amplified using a ART Tube MP and then run into my EBS Drome. But when doubling on electric bass I'm also using a EBS MultiComp as well as a Boss LS-2 Line Selector to switch between EB and DB. Then the ART Tube MP will not fit onto my pedalboard so it is kind of inconvenient to use both the pedalboard as well as the ART Tube MP.

My current setup is like this:
    Signalvägar_elbas_och_kontrabas_2017.

I would like to exchange the ART Tube MP with a more compact preamp like this:

The Weeping Birch Pre layout v2.

Has any of you an idea where to find a product like this?

2. JeffKissell

JeffKissell Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Soquel, CA
    mrbaloo likes this.
  3. mrbaloo

mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    Sweden
    Yes, the Radial SB-48UB could do the job in conjunction with the GEB-7. But it does not run on 9 V DC (standard "Boss"). And the Headway does not provide 48 V phantom power, just 18 V. Even if my mic will run on 12-48 V phantom power other mics may not run on 18 V. The Headway is also to big to fit my pedalboard.

4. mrbaloo

mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    Sweden
    I have now read the Radial manual. Except for the 15 V DC power supply, I think this product would really great for my purpose. I wonder if Radial would make a 9 V DC version for me? ;-)

5. LowG

LowG Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Milwaukee, WI
    What power supply do you use on your pedalboard? The Cioks ones will do 15V for Radial products.
    Or the cheapest option might be a bigger pedalboard

Groove Doctor and mrbaloo like this.
  6. mrbaloo

mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    Sweden
    Yes, I just realized that option to use a more advanced power supply than the Boss power supply. Then it would be very convenient. I would also like to use a very small pedalboard like the Pedaltrain Nano (I use Rockboard Solo and my own clones of that format).

Thank you for your all answers.

7. LowG

LowG Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Milwaukee, WI
  8. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Not a pedal form factor, but check out any of the hundreds of compact 500 series mic pres. For example you might be able to jury rig something like this on your board, or alternatively, replace your board with a “lunchbox” chassis...

500 Series Gear Buying Guide - inSync

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
  9. mrbaloo

mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    Sweden
    Thanks for sharing alternatives. I'm more and more friend with the idea to buy a Radial SD-48UD since it will fit my pedalboard for e-bass and double bass very well. Today I have already rearranged my pedalboard to see how it would look like. So I think this solution will be a very good choice for me.

Max George likes this.
  10. mrbaloo

mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    Sweden
    This is how my combined electric bass/double bass pedalboard will look like:

pedalbord.

The empty space is reserved for the Radial SB-48UB.

Electric bass-> EBS MultiComp -> Boss LS -2 Return A

Double bass -> Line Audio CM3 (condenser microphone) -> Radial SB-48UB -> Boss GEB-7 -> Boss LS -2 Return B

Boss LS -2 output -> EBS Drome amplifier

The pedalboard will be placed on top of the amplifier so therefore a short regular patch cable will be used for output of pedalboard LS-2. Then the EBS flat patch cables are used between pedal boxes to safe space. The pedalboard is the same size as Pedaltrain Nano and Rockboard Solo.

All pedals/boxes are mounted using the FX Smart* pedalbrackets (FX Smart) so it is really easy to swap pedals between my different pedalboards. But this setup will be my most used setup when giging with both the electric bass and the double bass.

* FX Smart is an own invention that is developed together with bjelkeman here at TB.

ColdEye likes this.
  11. ColdEye

ColdEye Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Did you ever go with the stage bug? Looking for a way to plug an electret or condenser directly into an Amp without mic input or even through a pre Amp first.

12. mrbaloo

mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    Sweden
    Yes, I have ordered the stagebug Radial SB-48UB. My local music shop are waiting for it to come in a week or two (christmas gift for myself :) ). I can update this thread when I have tested it for my double bass.

13. the Digitech Mic looper would work for very low cost. It has phantom and a nice clean DBX mic pre. About $40 online.

mobdirt and ColdEye like this.
  14. ColdEye

ColdEye Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Awesome, I will check it out. Any recommendations for something similar that I can plug in a mic and then plug into an Amp that does not have a DI in?

15. Just get one of the cheap 1 channel mixers. Behringer, Mackie, etc.

16. mrbaloo

mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    Sweden
    Interesting. I dont find the mic looper. Does it have the unbalanced output as well?

17. mrbaloo

mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    Sweden
    Ok. It should have had the unbalanced output as well. I think the SB-48UB will fit to my pedalboard very well and therefore minimizing the number of stuff to bring to my gigs: two basses, bass combo amp, pedalboard and some cables.

ColdEye likes this.
  18. You only need an XLR to TS cable if you don't need both outputs (XLR and TS) at once.

mrbaloo likes this.