Microphone pream in effect pedal format

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by mrbaloo, Nov 25, 2017.

1. mrbaloo

mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    Sweden
    How about impedance matchning in that case and signal levels? I think the SB-48UB will do all these with high quality components.

2. Usually the outputs of a mic preamp are the same electrically, so the only difference between an XLR and a T(R)S might be the balanced vs. unbalanced signal. A lower output impedance is no problem, it just delivers more current than needed by the following higher impedance input.
    A standard microphone XLR to TS cable should do the job. Cheap and worth a try.

If there will b a problem then the reason would be that a mic preamp is usually not made with outputs that have a signal specification for an instrument input. But since an ART Tube Pre is often used with an instrument input and works even though is was not designed to work that way, others might work too.

3. mrbaloo

mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    Sweden
    20180124_195031.jpg

The SB-48UB is placed in position for work. My initial test run shows (and sounds) very good results. It works like "plug an play", no tweaking of input gain and output level as I used with the ART TubeMP. In fact, it works better than I would have expected. The GEB-7 will be used only if some EQ tweaking is necessary. All I have to do to is to set the balance between the double bass (Return B) and the electric bass (Return A) on the LS-2.

I'm so pleased with this solution for my purpose of doubling EB and DB.

Chris Fitzgerald likes this.
  4. ColdEye

ColdEye Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    I ended up picking up an eventide mixing link for just a bit more than the stage bug. That looks like a very nice and compact pedal kit.

mrbaloo likes this.
  5. mrbaloo

mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    Sweden
    Signalvägar_elbas_och_kontrabas_2018.png

Updated signal chain diagram. Works like a charm! :)

6. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    Anyone know why the Radial SB-48UB and the dual-channel SB-48 are no longer manufactured? I have found the SB-48 available in secondary channels but really would prefer the smaller SB-48UB.

7. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    I couldn't find a SB-48UB so resolved the issue with two pedals. This is a work in progress: Nano+ pedal board for double bass. Rolls PB23 provides 48v phantom power to condenser mic. The Dynasty pedal is passive; it converts balanced signal to unbalanced instrument for entry to Sonic Research ST-300 Mini tuner (also acts as mute switch to amplified sound) and on into the Noble dual-tube preamp/DI. The two units on right side can be replaced by the new EDB2 with 48v phantom for mixing in a pickup signal with the mic. I estimate the new EDB2 form factor will be about the same size as those two pedals. BTW, the tuner and Rolls are powered from the Noble. For the Rolls, I used one of the Noble's standard power cables plugged into the yellow DC output jack as recommended by designer/builder Jack Roan. Everything is velcro'd to the pedal board. Easy to move around and use.

DB-pedal-board-SMALL.JPG

mrbaloo likes this.
  8. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Nice, perhaps a optional approach would be to use the new dual channel Headway EDB-2 once it comes to market. Just a possibly simpler approach.:)

9. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    That's the plan. If it comes to market. :) Odd that the original version didn't provide 48v phantom. Better to cover any type of mic requirement than limit it to a subset!

Ric Vice likes this.
  10. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Headway is a small company. I cannot imagine a scenario where they introduced an upgrade to their flagship product and didn’t release it to the public.

11. mrbaloo

mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    Sweden
    I think the EBS Stanley Clarke Acoustic Preamp would be a great replacement for my entire pedal board. This pedal should make the trick!

12. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    Here's the final format:

Bass mic and/or pickup --> Headway EDB 2 H.E --> Sonic Research Tuner/mute --> Noble tube preamp/DI --> board/amp. Power provided by the Noble.

board-front-edb2he-closer-jpg.jpg

13. mrbaloo

mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    Sweden
    I have just ordered an EBS Stanley Clarke Signature Acoustic Preamp that will replace my complete pedal board. But I will still use a pedal board to fit e.g. a tuner stomp box.

14. mrbaloo

mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    Sweden
    The Radial StageBug SB-48UB is sold to Norway...

15. mrbaloo

mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    Sweden
    Yepp, my new double bass/electric bass pedalboard is being assembled! I only need an EBS Y-patch cable for the Studio Bass Compressor. :)

upload_2021-4-12_8-48-17.png

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 26, 2021