Microphone repair

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by embellisher, Feb 25, 2002.

1. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Well, I dropped one of the singer's SM57's, so I am going to have to buy a replacement. I am now stuck with an SM57 with a busted capsule(or whatever the part with the coil and diaphragm is called).

So, do I throw it in the trash, or is it worth getting repaired? Anybody have any idea how much that would cost?
  2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Check with a local Shure dealer or call Shure yourself for the price. My GUESS is you can get a used 57 for the price of a new capsule.

I trashed an AKG D320 mike that a clumsy bandmate dropped when I found out that the price of a new capsule was twice what I had paid for the mike in the first place (used).
  3. The guitarist in my band was reversing his car after rehearsal one night, but the singer had leant his gig bag against the tire of my car and as i was backing out it fell in the path of my guitarists car.

No guess as to what happened next. What a sound of 20 cds shattering and a thump as the car went over his mic.

The mic was ok tho. I forget the brand JMX or something, its a offshoot company from Shure, its identical to a SM 58, just a different colour and is amazing for vocals.