1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Microphone through bass amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Misanthropic, Mar 31, 2006.

1. Hello.

I'm really sorry if this has been asked before, but I searched and didn't find anything.

Is it possible to plug a microphone into my bass combo and turn it up loud enough for band practice? Or, knowing it's possible, would it damage the amp?

I've read lots of people saying it's bad to play bass through a guitar amp, but how about a mic through bass amp? Any problems with that? I should add that sound quality isn't really an issue here, because this would just be a second solution since we can't be in the "real" jam place with PA very often...

Thanks.

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    been there - done that. works fine.

is it pa quality? nope. will it work in band practice? yep.

if you are using a cheapie high impedance mic with a 1/4" jack you just plug in and go. If you have a low impedance mic with an xlr 3 pin jack you'll need a speacial cord or adapter to plug into the amp. Also, the amp might not get very loud as the preamp in the amp may not be optimized for the signal coming out of the mic. however, you won't damage the amp.

Just be carful if your amp has a tweeter, feedback from pointint the mic at it could conceivable cause the tweeter or tweeter fuse to blow, but you'd really have to be up loud and point the mic right at teh amp to do that.