1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Microphone?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Mr_Moustache, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Mr_Moustache

Mr_Moustache

Apr 29, 2012
    My band is trying to record an EP, but I don't have a mic to record with. I don't wanna direct line into my laptop. Any suggestions for an affordable decent quality mic for a 15-watt combo?

2. silky smoove

silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    What 15-watt combo are you using that would sound better than going direct? I can't think of an instance where this would be the case.

3. BrBss

BrBss

Jul 9, 2010
    Albuquerque NM
    +1

4. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Depending on the approach. Solo'ed, up on a stand, close mic and room mic, itmight sound pretty good. Bitch to setup and the cost of the mics would set you back an Avalon...

I'm going to guess that BDDi or ParaDriver would be a better bet

5. Mr_Moustache

Mr_Moustache

Apr 29, 2012
    Thanks guys I have a rumble and a p bass

6. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    Is your username a Nirvana reference? If it is, I approve :cool:

7. Mr_Moustache

Mr_Moustache

Apr 29, 2012
    Yessir

8. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Apr 18, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    If you are getting a certain sound out of the rumble you like, I'd use an SM57 or similar, since the small speaker (I'm assuming 8 inch?) isn't going to really push lows out. Then DI the bass on a second track for lows and thump. The various pedals form Tech 21 (Bass Driver, VT Bass, etc) are all great ways to add some versatility to a basic DI, which serves mostly to convert the unbalanced signal out of your bass into a balanced signal that interfaces more easily with a recorder.

9. Jonyak

Jonyak

Oct 2, 2007
    Ottawa, Ont
    I used an SM57 on my svt and it give me great results.

One I really want to try is EV RE-20.

Also look at the Beta 57 if you can afford it, $40 more than an SM57.

10. Hi.

If You don't mind me saying this, any mic from the RS $5 cheapo upwards will do nicely miking the amp You have.

I'd go direct as well as the other guys who suggested that though, takes a lot of pain (or pleasure depending on how one views it ;)) off the process.

If You have to mic it for a reason or another, SM 57/58 are hard to beat.

Regards
    Sam

11. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Another +1 on using a DI

12. Mr_Moustache

Mr_Moustache

Apr 29, 2012
    Thanks guys I appreciate the support