1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Microphones: XLR -> jack plug?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Lawkeeper, May 24, 2012.

1. Lawkeeper

Lawkeeper

Mar 12, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Microphone noob here.. I have an old 50w Gorilla bass amp lying around, and I read that it's useful for almost anything including vocals. So I figured I could use it as such.

Most microphones (if not all) have an XLR-output, which obviously don't fit the old Gorilla. But what if I bought a XLR-to-jack plug cable and put that between the mic cable and the amp? Would this allow me to use the bass amp for vocals?

2. Yes (providing your mic doesn't require phantom power, but I'll go under the assumption it doesn't. most vocal mics don't . . .)

3. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    It will work, but it won't sound all that great.

4. Lawkeeper

Lawkeeper

Mar 12, 2011
    The Netherlands
    As long as it gets a voice over the din of rushing guitars, rumbling bass and a drum kit I'm very happy ;) Thanks, guys!

5. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    It'll work a lot better with most mics if you use one with an impedance matching transformer built in.

6. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction

Apr 20, 2011
    Atlanta

This is vid of me singing into a 1973 fender twin. I'm using a crummy audio technica mic and a XLR to 1/4" cable. I wouldn't use this for any loud volume requirements, but it's fine for goofing around at home.

7. fisticuffs

fisticuffs Commercial User

May 3, 2011
    Madison, WI
    It's not just the connector you need to worry about but the impedance. As mentioned get a XLR-1/4" transformer and you will have better results. It'll probably run you 20 bucks. Standard mic level doesn't play nice with a preamp built for guitar.