1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Microphonic 66' Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by James Simonson, Oct 31, 2010.

1. James Simonson

James Simonson

Feb 2, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    Endorsing Artist : Ernie Ball and Ampeg
    The rear pickup on my 66' Jazz is starting to become microphonic. I know potting them is the answer. That's not the question.

The bass is so alive right know. I have owed several Jazz basses and this one is by far the best Jazz I've ever played. I don't want to change it. It is useable if I don't boost the highs like crazy and avoid facing the amp in loud situations.

The question:

Will potting the pickups kill the special character that I've got happening? Right now, if I tap the wood or even rotate the strap you hear it through the amp. It brings a special acoustic feel to the instrument as if I was dealing with my upright.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

2. Check the pickup wiring and make sure the solder joints are solid and not boogered up.Also,if the pickups have ever been out of the bass,there is also a chance they could have been wired out of faze wich would give them an odd tone somewhat like your experiencing.Potting will quite the pickups down a bit.Ultimatly if you dig the tone right now,dont mess with it.If your still not happy with the bass,just sell it to me.:D

3. Luckie

Luckie

Jan 1, 2010
    Northfield MN
    That microphonic quality is a huge part of the tone you're digging.
    Potting them will kill that sound, so I'd leave it be.

4. NateS

NateS

Sep 22, 2009
    Richmond, VA, USA
    I'd leave it be - half of byour post is asking what to do with it, then you say that it adds character like you're upright. It's probably half of what you like about your tone.

5. James Simonson

James Simonson

Feb 2, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    Endorsing Artist : Ernie Ball and Ampeg
    bump