1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Microphonic 66' Jazz

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by James Simonson, Oct 31, 2010.

1. James Simonson

James Simonson

Feb 2, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    Endorsing Artist : Ernie Ball and Ampeg
    The rear pickup on my 66' Jazz is starting to become microphonic. I know potting them is the answer. That's not the question.

The bass is so alive right know. I have owed several Jazz basses and this one is by far the best Jazz I've ever played. I don't want to change it. It is useable if I don't boost the highs like crazy and avoid facing the amp in loud situations.

The question:

Will potting the pickups kill the special character that I've got happening? Right now, if I tap the wood or even rotate the strap you hear it through the amp. It brings a special acoustic feel to the instrument as if I was dealing with my upright.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

2. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    IMO, potting them will change the microphonic character that you mentioned.

3. My 66 became really microphonic, i potted the pickups and it has sounded different ever since, not sure its a bad different, but different...

4. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i have very lightly potted pickups before and it didn't change them much, if at all. as a matter of fact, i think it made them sound the way that there are supposed to sound (as in 'non-microphonic'). however, if you've grown to love the way that a microphonic vintage pickup sounds, i wouldn't pot it at all unless it became unuseable.

2 cents.........

5. James Simonson

James Simonson

Feb 2, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    Endorsing Artist : Ernie Ball and Ampeg
    bump