microphonic lace sensor

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dave_p, Feb 11, 2006.

1. dave_p

Dec 20, 2005
    i have a jazz plus V with lace sensors and a kubicki preamp. the bridge pup cover came loose and was sitting at an angle(higher on the g string), i pushed it back in place and went about my business.when i tap on the pickup you can hear it pretty loudly, moreso than the neck pickup. i remember always noticing how sensitive the pickups were, but this is pretty loud. i was changing strings today so i took em all off instead of changing one at a time so i could take a look at this pickup cover. i wiggled it around and peeled it off. the comb matrix (coil and bobbin and top plate) came out with the cover and the rest of the pickup (two shielding magnets) stayed attached to the base.
    anyway the pups are interesting its a matrix, on a bobbin and coil with 3 horizontal plate magnets in a stack under it that fits between 2 verticle magnets. from what i understand its a real bad idea to take these apart (lace claims 90% chance of destroying the pickup) so i gingerly reassembled it and strung her up. the pickup works and sounds the same, its just so freakin hot, way hotter than the neck. my questions are:
    do i worry about it?
    is it normal?
    will monkeying with the pickup make it more microphonic than it already was?

im not really stressing, a new one is 99$ but i am really curious about these things now. anyone know anything about em?
  2. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

As long as you don't put yourself in a situation where you're dependent on it, if it works to your satisfaction, use it till it doesn't.

Don't know what it is but doesn't sound like microphonics to me. If it's a lot hotter than the neck then it's going to sense everything more, including tapping on it. Strikes me as strange that it's a lot hotter than previously but I don't design pickups I just use them. Could be resistance has increased considerably for whatever reason yet the winding's still intact.