Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Microphonics from Yamaha TRB

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Lackey, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    ....and they're killing the playability! Even when I'm not playing over the pickup excess noise is heard.

Any way to fix this? I've heard about a paraffin wax dip, I'm assuming you take the actual pickup out of the cover to do it....? Guitarnutz.com is down right now apparently.

Anybody have experience with this type of thing?

thanks!

2. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    UPDATE: over 3 years later and I still have not fixed this issue, causing a lovely little bass to sit and weep in its case.

Any fresh ideas on what the problem is or how to fix it? Tapping the pickup causes VERY audible noise.... .....also the pickups are completely sealed around the back so I'm assuming I may be SOL regarding repotting the magnets.

But worth a thread resurrection I guess. :bag:

3. Stealth

Stealth Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Wow. Three years without a single reply.
    My suggestion is to check with Lindy Fralin, Seymour Duncan or other professional pickup makers to see if they can ot the pickups for you. In theory, you can do it at home and it would probably help (as per the instructionson Instructables), but in case the coil is broken you'll have to send it someplace for a rewind. If the coil's back is sealed you may well be SOL because if it's epoxy coating, there's no way to open that up without wrecking the coil. Maybe contact a Yamaha dealer to replace them with their own coils?