Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

microphonics

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Funkateer, Jul 7, 2002.

1. Funkateer

Funkateer

Jul 5, 2002
    Los Gatos, CA
    Just wondering: Audiophiles go to great lengths and expense to mechanically isolate their amps, preamps, and sources from vibrations transmitted by speakers through the floor and cabinetry, but standard operating procedure for electrified guitarists is to put the amp directly on top of the speaker stack. I would think that especially with the bass, and especially with tubes, this will effect the sound considerably.

2. Funkateer

Funkateer

Jul 5, 2002
    Los Gatos, CA
    ... Microphony is an issue with all electronics, and tube gear especially.

We do not recommend putting the DB359 on top of your speaker cabinets. It vibrates the head, and in some cases can lead to microphony. That being said, many people do place the head on the cabinet with no problems. And certainly a foam cushion would serve to dampen acoustic vibration, which is a good idea.

3. Funkateer

Funkateer

Jul 5, 2002
    Los Gatos, CA
    because I see lots of pictures of folks who are stacking their tube gear on top of their cabs

4. Funkateer

Funkateer

Jul 5, 2002
    Los Gatos, CA
    Psycho - In addition to tube life issues, have you detected a difference in sound? If so, how would you characterize it?

5. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    I have a compound foam matt (2") between my cab, and my rack... I have 4 tubes in my rack, they need it...

Alex

6. When I say tube life, I'm referring to useful tube life. Microphonic tubes usually have lots of "life" left, but are useless in audio applications because in preamps they introduce unwanted echoes or ringing and in power sections, they can damage the output transformer.

Microphonic preamp tubes, ring or echo and sound like cheap reverb. Microphonic power tubes "pulse power" or "roar" (usually sounds like seashell echos, no joke!)