1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Microsoft office question

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by i_got_a_mohawk, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Is there any way to make it so that page numbering doesnt start until a selected page?

Ive got a document im compiling, and dont want the page numbering to start until about 4-5 pages in (avoiding title, abstract, contents etc)

Cheers

2. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    Did you try the MS Word Help?

"If you haven't done so already, insert a section break (section break: A mark you insert to show the end of a section. A section break stores the section formatting elements, such as the margins, page orientation, headers and footers, and sequence of page numbers.) where you want to start page numbering."

3. Ah right, i'll give it a bash, cheers.

All i found was how to do it backwards from what i was wanting to (first number being 5 for instance)

Thanks!

4. Its worked, kind of.

Only problem is its added page numbers to the previous section which im not wanting numbered. And i cant figure out how to get rid of it (if i delete it, word removes numbering from pages in the other section too)

5. try going into page set up.
    normally there is a tick-box for "different first page" or diff first/last page. might have one for diff sections as well if you have one.:meh:

ps i love office 07:ninja:

6. Yep, but in Office 2003, the way I've always done it (and the only way, I think) is to put a Section Break at the end of the page right before the page on which you want to start numbering.

7. Lalabadie

Lalabadie Guest

Jan 11, 2007
    Once you've tasted of InDesign, you can't go back to MS Office :bag:

8. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    Yeah, that's a good point, it's not as if MS Office is a corporate standard or anything

9. Lalabadie

Lalabadie Guest

Jan 11, 2007
    I had to write something a while ago, and ended up wit only Word to use. I was totally unable to come up with something okay looking. Dang, this thing is supposed to be user-friendly.

"Where the hell is post-paragraph spacing?"
    "Dude, the monitor is running 16 million colors, and I get to choose between about ten."
    "NO, I don't want a capital here."
    "1Mb worth of text? It fits on a single page!"

Graphics designer humor, you know. Word is enough to process texts, fortunately. So you don't have to rely on fancy guys who charge three times what you've spent on making the content just to fit it in a page :p.

10. I'm an office fan, but this one made me lol.