1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Microsoft Requires You Have An Account To Use Their Software

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Shane Carter, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Shane Carter

Shane Carter

May 21, 2007
    Detroit
    Just tried to install Microsoft Office from the key card they sell at Staples. After entering the PIN, so I could obtain the "Key Code" to activate the program, it wants my account information, so I enter my email and a MS password. Apparently that's not enough for MS, they want my name, DOB and zipcode.

I called and talked to MS support and told them I just paid over $200 for this piece of cardboard and I need the "Key Code" to activate the software. They told me there is no way to do that without providing that information. I told them that I will return the card to Staples and won't buy ANY MS product in the future. They assured me that my personal information isn't released. I asked if they are aware of all of the banks and others who are hacked and take this information.

I have been using Open Office, but MS uses "docx" and although OO can see these types of files, they are not in the correct format.

2. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2008
    They probably do it for marketing purposes. I'm not a fan of it, but that's the way business seems to be evolving (at least in the US). If you're not a fan of it you can always opt out and go somewhere else. Unfortunately, it's going to get to the point where every company will demand that information if you want to use that sort of product, and the ability to opt out and go elsewhere won't be an option anymore.

3. Meyatch

Meyatch Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Sign up for a hotmal account you use for no other purpose, put in a fake name, DOB, and the zip code from a town over. What do you think someone is going to do with your DOB and Zip Code?

I doubt you really accomplished anything, except make the rep. at microsoft think you are a billion years old.

4. Go through your neighbors trash / recycling then provide their information. Haha!

One time I visited a store, a salesman was particularly rude to me (like, way more than a typical salesman), then handed me his business card. Later that night, I signed him up on a few "nasty" websites using his company address, email and work number. (I never went back to that store, but sometimes wonder about the fallout from that.)

5. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    lol,.. Yahoo wouldn't let me in my e-mail account yesterday without my cell phone number!:rollno:

so i made one up!:D

6. Shane Carter

Shane Carter

May 21, 2007
    Detroit
    Really? It's OK that they obtain that information, as long as it's fake?

I'm questioning whether one of America's largest Corporations has the right to ask for your PERSONAL information before you can use their product? Have you ever contacted a bank or credit card Company where they will in fact verify this information with you? Are you aware of the identity theft problem?

7. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    I think part of this is the idea of a license vs. a sale.

To Microsoft, they're not selling you something, they're entering into a license agreement - a contract - with you to allow you to use their software. For that to work, they have to know who they're contracting with.

Most users see software as a purchase just like their groceries so all these license agreement things are, at best, annoying.

I don't know much about the key card sales, but I do know that the regular DVD packaged versions of Office 2010 don't have this issue.

8. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Apple (among others) has required having an account to use the majority of their software for years...and it upsets people when other companies do the same?

Bank and credit card companies both require that they have some of your personal information, and you pay for that service as well.

9. A number is not required, but suggested. There is an option to skip that step.

Did you read the reason for the cell phone number? If ever you forget your password or someone hacks your account, a password reset code will be sent to that cellphone number. If that random cell number exists somewhere, that person will have access to your email if you ever become locked out for some reason.

10. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Inactive

Feb 4, 2009
    Tampa, Florida, US
    Actually, they are in fact well within their right to ask for that information before allowing you to use their program. You have no inherent right to be able to use Microsoft software without agreeing to their terms of use and supplying them the information they want. Whether they're a large corporation or not has no bearing on that. You took issue with that policy and are now using Open Office (Which I use myself), and voicing your opinion about their business policies with your wallet, so good on you, but you can save the indignation, as Microsoft hasn't done anything illegal or immoral by asking for your information.

11. Shane Carter

Shane Carter

May 21, 2007
    Detroit
    I'm not saying that it's not within their right if I agree to the usage contract. What I am saying is that I have used MS products since they began. Today is the first day I have been required to provide that information. I refused and will not be their customer any longer. Provide my email address? No problem. Create a password? No problem. Anything past that, no way!

12. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    I really dont think its that big of a deal.

13. Meyatch

Meyatch Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I'd still love to know what nefarious purposes you think someone is going to put your birthday and zip code to.

Do you throw a big fit if a retail cashier asks for your zip code? They do this all the time, its market research.

You are welcome to not use microsoft products, but the temper tantrum about it seems misguided.

14. Geroi Asfalta

Geroi Asfalta

Aug 23, 2011
    I have no idea who Tom McCaullen is, but he has an account with microsoft and google :ninja:

15. mglinski

mglinski

Jan 3, 2013
    Gallatin, TN
    Yeah, I have to agree with the majority here. It's the cost of doing business today. Future versions of the OS will probably be the same. If you think you can get by with Linux, go for it (just hope you aren't planning on running much "name brand" music software on it).

Besides, you probably gave out much more information to register as a user for this forum. Don't hear a lot of complaining about that.

16. boing

boing

Feb 15, 2004
    CT, USA
    IIRC, the "account required" thing is new to Windows 8.

17. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    thanks for the heads-up!:)

i was on my phone trying to sign in and didn't see that option on this little screen. :bag: i'll be deleting that number immediately.:ninja:

18. spector_boogie

spector_boogie No Limit Honky Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2012
    The Woodlands, TX
    yeah, apple has been doing this a while now... which is why i quit even using the iPhone. is stupid.

19. identity theft. and i tell retail clerks no

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021