1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Microsoft Word Problems

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Fontaine, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Fontaine

Fontaine

Apr 27, 2006
    Well, first off i sent a few questions to companies to get some information about what they do for a college project, when i received it it was in Microsoft word.

when I open them up i cant copy them into a different file or change anything at all, this includes going in and fixing spelling error's

On top it says this:

"Tile of Document [Compatibility Mode] - Microsoft word"

the compatibly part isn't actually bolded in the program but i think thats where the problem is.

does anyone know how i can get out of this "mode" or at least be able to copy the questions without having to retype them, because there is a lot of them.

2. Do you have MS word loaded on your machine?

3. Fontaine

Fontaine

Apr 27, 2006
    what do u mean?

as in loaded up before i open the questions?

4. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Here is the deal, they probably made it in a newer version of word than what you have and it doesn't support the new formatting.

5. Do you have the MS word application loaded onto your PC...........MS office?

6. fenderhutz

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    do a search on your PC for a file called "normal.dot"

Delete it. See if this helps. Sometimes your issue happens if that template file is corrupt.

7. If you are using Office 2007 then you can just hit the convert button and it will convert the file, save it again, and it will get rid of the compatibility mode problem.

8. fenderhutz

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Would have helped if he posted a version.

9. Fontaine

Fontaine

Apr 27, 2006
    version 2007

10. Fontaine

Fontaine

Apr 27, 2006
    yes i have MS office

11. Do what I said in my original post then, should fix it.

12. Fontaine

Fontaine

Apr 27, 2006
    where this "convert" button?

13. Give 'em these:

[​IMG]

14. Click the office button in the top left of the screen, where save and print and whatnot are.

It should be there.

15. Fontaine

Fontaine

Apr 27, 2006
    it wont let me hit the convert button either

16. Fontaine

Fontaine

Apr 27, 2006
    bump

17. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Try opening it in Open Office, save it as an OO document and then re-open it in your Word version?

18. Fontaine

Fontaine

Apr 27, 2006
    well, this is what i did i got a hold of a laptop opened it on that, put it in an e-mail and sent it to myself....it worked lol...thanks guys