1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Microtubes 500 output power peak

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by katolecho, Apr 29, 2019.

1. katolecho

katolecho

Apr 29, 2019
    Hi all,

I'm considering to buy Darkglass Microtubes 500 and a Markbass Traveler 151p (8ohm) and while I was reading the Microtubes 500 datasheet, I've seen the following message :
    Can it damage the cab or not?

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Yes it can damage your cabinet. But that's true of any amp.

Keep in mind that the 500/750 watt rating is for a 4 ohm load and you have an 8 ohm load, so you will get overall less power. Just use common sense with the volume knob. If your cabinet starts to overload, turn it down.

seamonkey, katolecho and BassmanPaul like this.
  3. katolecho

katolecho

Apr 29, 2019
    Thanks for the information.

I've just called Thomann and it seems that the 750Watts peak at 4 Ohms is about 385 W at 8 Ohms.
    So if the M500 master is not set to the maximum value, this should be ok.

4. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Except that the master volume position has little to do with maximum rated power.

5. katolecho

katolecho

Apr 29, 2019
    So which knobs drive the power?
    I assume that the amp doesn't drive continually the max power.

6. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    All controls factor into how much output power is delivered, as does the input signal strength.

Signal strength depends on the pickups, the bass setup, the electronics in the bass and very much the playing style.

katolecho and ThisBass like this.
  7. ThisBass

ThisBass

Aug 29, 2012
    Germany
    Right, and likely playing style is the most underrated factor how much of sub harmonic "transient noise" is really deliverd to a cabinet if there was no "decent" HPF present that protects the cab from potentially harmfull (transient) sub harmonics.

katolecho and agedhorse like this.
  8. katolecho

katolecho

Apr 29, 2019
    Ok, thanks for these explaination.

I was not aware that the input level and the playing style could have influences on the power delivered.

After discussing with Doug from Darkglass, it seems that the Microtubes 500 can fit with a 400W/8ohms cab.

agedhorse likes this.
  9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 19, 2021