1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Microtubes 900 vs m6 carbine

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Iwlim1Taek, May 19, 2017.

1. M6 carbine

4 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Microtubes 900

4 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Iwlim1Taek

Iwlim1Taek

Jun 30, 2016
    I'm looking for an amp that can go really clean that works well with pedals, although with the microtubes I wouldn't need distortions.
    I could get the m6 for cheaper but want to hear other opinions. Unfortunately I don't live anywhere where I could try these out so I have to just go by sound clips and advice.

I usually play rock/ heavy metal w/ finger style and have a Mesa 410 powerhouse with a schecter j plus bass

Please help!

2. RickyT

RickyT

May 29, 2015
    Dee Why
    Microtubes for me. Great clean sound. 2 x distortions. 900w. Whats not to love?

I also play heavy rock/grunge/stoner/alt with fingers mainly and it sound amazing.

3. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Both can do clean at loud volume. The M6 is going to have a much bigger low end than the M900, not in a bad way, but it's worth mentioning depending on what you want.

I have an M9 and the M900. I think I may like the M9 a little more, but both are excellent amps.

4. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    If you don't mind the extra weight, I'd go with the M6. I owned one and loved it. I like the clips of the Darkglass amp, but I don't care for them as much as the M6 sound I remember. I wouldn't use the VMT or B3K engines, as I prefer other dirt.

The M6 voice knob is a powerful tool. Though, the mid EQ on the DG looks pretty flexible.

Actually, with the money you save on the M6, get the DG Alpha Omega. I just snagged one and really like it more than my B7K and more than I liked the VMTD.

Both are nice amps. You'll be fine either way.

5. solarfly

solarfly Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2016
    I have the M9 which is the same power as the M6 but with the addition of a graphic EQ. I mounted mine into a Gator 3U case to give it the 1" for ventilation. I bring it everywhere. On my pedal board, I run a Microtubes B3K effects pedal, which gives me all that great Microtubes tone if I want it, and pure Mesa clean sound (or grit if you set the gain up) when I don't have the pedal engaged. The Mesas are hand built, they are rock-solid, predictable and the company has fantastic customer service. (I'm also a big fan of Darkglass effects so you probably can't go wrong either way, I just don't have any experience with Darkglass amps).