Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mics for upright

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by cabooke, May 21, 2002.

1. cabooke

cabooke

Jan 26, 2002
    Orange County, CA
    Hello everyone. I'm looking to get a very good mic for recording my stand up. I was told that the Electro-Voice RE-20 is one of the best sounding mics out there. But as far as I can tell, this mic is no longer in production. Are there any good counter parts to this. Thanks much.

2. In my (not so) humble opinion, there's no such a thing as "one of the best sounding mics" for double bass. If you go to Google Groups and search for "recording upright" in rec.audio.pro, you'll find zillions of different techniques (mics, mic placement, etc.) to record your bass, and they're all valid in their context.

It all depends on so many factors. For instance, I did a track for a blues/rock guitar player once, and the engineer ended up using a humble SM-57 on my bass, although he could have used his expensive Neumanns. It worked because the SM-57's "edgy" sound allowed the bass to cut through a busy mix, and the result was a really tight, killer bass sound. Of course this wouldn't have worked in a jazz trio setting.

True enough, the RE-20 is a great all-around mic, but there are many others. So, I have some additional questions:
    • What kind of music do you want to record?
    • What kind of sound do you like?
    • How much do you want to spend?
    • Do you have recording equipment that provides phantom power?
    --Timo

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The RE-20 is still in production.

The RE-27 is a newer version of the mike using a N-D element.

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    CABOOSE,

What TIMID_PRETZELMAKER said. Each bass is different, and each purpose that you might use a mic for requires different characteristics. But for studio recording, I've found that a large diaphragm condenser placed anywhere from 6-18" in front of the bridge is the place to start (for pizz playing, anyway). I've used everything from an SM58 (dynamic) to a Neumann U87 in this way with good results. The mic I'm currently using in my home studio is an MXL V67, which is a VERY affordable LD condenser. I'm happy with the results, and have been happy with the sound I've gotten with several other bottom feeder LD condensers. What have you tried so far?

5. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    I did a lot of research on this, and needing one that could sound good on stage as well I got an older AKG C3000 (not the C3000b). I love it both in recording and on stage.

Monte

6. cabooke

cabooke

Jan 26, 2002
    Orange County, CA
    Thanks everybody for the info. Here is what I am looking for. On my upright, I pretty much only play jazz(pizz, very little arco). I am looking for something to compliment my pickup- I am using an Underwood with a LRBaggs pre. Evevn with the preamp, I don't dig the sound of it. I have a four year old Kessler ply bass, which has a decent accoustic tone, and would like to catch some of that. Thanks again everybody.

7. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Two of the more common supplements to pickups are the K&K Trinity and AMT mics. Do a search for either of these terms or check out the "Newbie Links" thread at the top of this forum for previous discussions of same.