Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mics?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Stanley Design, Dec 31, 2002.

1. Ok, I did a search but found nothing, this question will probaly be deemed retarded and I'll probaly get allot of sarcasm but here goes...How do you hook up a mic? Do you hook it up to your amp(assuming you have more then one imput)? Just explain stuff to me about how it works.:confused:

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    What is it you wish to do with a microphone?

I have no intention of taking a jab, but I am not sure what you are really asking?

3. if you're pluggin' a mic into your amp you will need an xlr to 1/4" adapter: a little thing that you plug the mic cable into one end of, and the other end has a plug for the amp's input jack.

4. what would I need a mic for other then singing:rolleyes: :p

5. should i buy an electric guitar amp seperate for it?

6. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Sounds like you need a basic introduction to live sound. Generally speaking though, guitar amps amplify guitar, bass amps are for bass, and the PA system amplifies your vocals (and more depending on size of PA). There are some combination amps (I believe Carvin makes one for instance) that have inputs for both an instrument and a song mic, but apart from that you will not have much luck with your average guitar or bass amp.

Get something like this book for an intro and overview of live sound.

7. if you're gonna put a mic into an amp and not a PA, put it into a bass amp or keyboard amp. wider range, cleaner sound. i think...

8. hehe, actually all i got for an amp IS an old single 15 bass amp my great grandma uses for her organ :D :( its got 2 imputs so thats what ill try. im hoping that ill get a job soon so i can save up for a hartke 4x10 cab, not sure what i should use to power it though any suggestions?