Mid 70's Ibanez "Lawsuit" Fender Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassmanbob, Mar 22, 2003.

1. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

My first bass was a mid 70's Ibanez "lawsuit" Fender Jazz that I bought used in 1978 for $165. It's in good shape with some fret wear and a number of nicks and dings in the finish but no damage to the body itself. The bass plays real nice and has got some great tone to it.

I'm not looking to sell it, but I was wondering if anyone knows about the story behind these basses and if it is worth any money?
  2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    2 weeks ago I saw a 70's Ibanez Jazz marked @ $599. It looked to be about 8/10 condition.

do a search here and at google.com I know I've seen an Ibanez History page in the recent past
  3. Kruser

Aug 13, 2001
    Have a look at this site.
    Maybe your one is on this, too. At least my old "Blazer" was.

4. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I remember when these basses first came out. I think they were Ibanez's answer to poor sales due to a variety of problems over at fender and the severe drop in sales of gibson basses especially. They actually had very good constrution and a decent sound thus giving the consumer a choice in the matter (very few bass maker back then compared to now) The first p/j bass I saw was a late 70's Ibanez! These basses became what is known today as "lawsuit" basses.
  5. geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    yes bud they have been going up in demand and price for the last couple of years,since vintage fenders are going through the roof price wise people have been turning to the "other "brands" for the vintage vibe,the uprise in demand for the lower costing fender japans caused this craze,there are even a couple of other brands that are considered collectable, like ARIA,and a ibanez sister company WESTMINSTER, people were getting quality vintage basses for half the price if the vintage fenders while getting a guitar that is as good or even a little better than the original,a good ibanez copy in decent shape can fetch you around 275.00-300.00 $ and a mint one 100,00 more,they are on e-bay all the time and they usually sell fast if the reserve is at a resonable price,if interested go on e-bay and punch in the words fender copy bass or lawsuite bass and i believe you will find at least one or two on there now,if i were you i would keep it ,belive me there are still enuff around to keep you from getting rich,and you will regrett it latter when you want to replace it