Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mid 70's Rick string suggestions

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by RicPlaya, Jun 11, 2003.

1. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I have a Rick mid 70's not sure about the year or model. I have been using DR's but I want to make a change. I like the lows were they are from the DR lowriders but the highs are dull. I have adjusted my head to try to compensate but I am still not satisfied. I have been playing under a year and there are so many types and manufacturers to choose from I would have to spend a fortune in order to determine which strings I like. Any feedback on this subject is greatly appreciated, oh by the way I mostly play rock. Flatrounds, roundwounds, chrome, nickel, it's crazy please help. thanx

2. Mickey Shane

Mickey Shane what goes here?

Feb 23, 2003
    Denton, Texas
    If you want the mid-seventies Ric sound, I seem to remember the guys used to use Rotosound round wounds.

I don't know anything about that brand of string, it's just a memory of what a Ric owner told me back then.

3. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    And the bass is still passive...fyi if it makes a difference

4. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I have done some research on Rotosounds, seems like some bassists use them on Ricks. I have not seen any new threads since. So is it safe for me to assume that Rotosounds is the preferred string of choice?

5. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I got rotosounds, I'll give em a try

6. bass_man86

bass_man86

Apr 29, 2002
    Virginia Beach
    I have owned a '74 4001 for 26 years now. My suggestion (for what it's worth), use as light a gauge of strings as you can find. I normally use Daddario's nickel wounds on mine, although I currently have it strung with a set of Ernie Ball Extral Slinkys. What ever you do, do not use heavy gauge strings on your bass. I will not belabor the point as it as been covered extensively already (do a search on this site).

Peace!

7. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    That actually makes a lot of since since Ricks are known for the midrange. I assume the light gauge strings accents that, thanks.

8. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    Rotosound "Swingmasters" 40,60,80,100 work great
    on my 4001.