Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mid 80s Fender Japanese bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pcollin, Dec 22, 2005.

1. pcollin

pcollin

Dec 22, 2005
    Portland, Maine
    I'm looking for any info regarding my Fender Jazz Bass Special. It's got both the Jazz and p-bass p/u with a jazz neck. I bought it new in 85 or 86. It's Black on black on black! Very cool looking and my personal favorite to play. Recently, at a gig some guy told me that it was a real collector's piece. I don't know much about the Fender quality back then or if this is a rare guitar. I haven't been able to find any info on my own. To me, it's my first bass and a sentimental favorite. If you can tell me anything about it, I'd appreciate it! Thanks!

2. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
  3. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    And BTW, welcome to TB :D

You have an extremely cool bass, lots of serious supporters of the MIJ Specials here. In terms of value, they have a reasonable resale, but not especially rare. They pop up on Ebay pretty regularly, usually selling around $400-$500 if the bass is in good condition ....... :cool:

4. pcollin

pcollin

Dec 22, 2005
    Portland, Maine
    This is a very cool site. Couldn't believe how fast I got some info. I'll post some pics of my MIJ Jazz Bass special next week.

5. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I had a 1987 Fender Jazz Special Fretless. It was the Metalic Pewter. I had no idea what a fretless should sound like. I tried everything to get it to sound like my fretted bass. Alas, I traded it away for a PA. :crying:

6. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140