1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mid 90s American Fender Jazz 5 B string

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Tribaljedi, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Tribaljedi

Tribaljedi

Sep 1, 2016
    I'm having trouble finding strings the proper length for my Fender Jazz. The B string is too long. I wanted flats but Labella and Daddario are both too long. Measurement from ball end to nut is 35 1/4". Measurement to the middle of the B string tuning peg is 36 7/8".

I emailed back and forth with Daddario and they confirmed they do not have a B string that would fit.

At this point I just want strings that fit regardless of whether they are flats or rounds. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I've attached a pic showing the Daddario Chromes. Yes, it needs a new nut. It had Black Beauties on it when I got it but now I can't remember if the B string was the proper length or not. Looking at the specs it was probably too long also.

Attached Files:

2. GHS "medium scale" = 35.5" winding (ball end to silk/taper).
    TI "short scale" = 35.5" winding (ball end to silk/taper).

For more comprehensive list, check out this thread:

Bass String Lengths by Manufacturer

3. According to what I see on the GHS website, the Progressives (nickel-iron alloy roundwound) do come in a 5-string set with 36.5" winding.

BASS PROGRESSIVES™

@Jon Moody, can you verify this?

4. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Digital Brand Development and Product Development at GHS Strings
    Yes, it's correct.

5. Tribaljedi

Tribaljedi

Sep 1, 2016
    Thanks, I will them a shot. Juststrings had a set so I ordered them.

6. Tribaljedi

Tribaljedi

Sep 1, 2016
    Well got the strings. They are the correct length but because they are tapered at the bridge they won't fit. The taper starts halfway between the bridge pickup and the bridge. If I string them through the body they are too short but the taper at the bridge ends up in the right place. 3 sets of strings and still no luck.

7. Tribaljedi

Tribaljedi

Sep 1, 2016
    Well after playing some more I got the Chromes to work through body. I had to shave some of the silk off the ball end of the B string to get it to fit in the hole. Getting the B string off in the future might be difficult. I'll use these other strings on one of my 4 string Warwicks. The taper would be perfect for those bridges.

8. Well, that sucks... I don't understand why GHS insists on "exposed core" on the Progressives.

Wait... The Progressives are one of the few GHS still offers with 36.5" winding length, while most of the other GHS offerings, as well as most other manufacturers, are "universal long scale" with 37.25" winding, which should fit your bass properly for thru-body. Why didn't we think of that option before?

9. Tribaljedi

Tribaljedi

Sep 1, 2016
    Sorry, I did think of it before. The B string just wasn't going all the way in the hole so I thought it was too short(reply right above yours). I finally used my brain and realized if the others work thru body then the B string should also. All good now with the Chromes. I'll remember in the future 36.5 no taper for top load 37.25 for thru body. Thanks for the help.

michael_t likes this.