mid boost!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by panazza, Dec 19, 2003.

1. panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    I often play with my mids (centered at 600 hz) all the way up... I like the sound cause it seems more angry to me.. (I mostly play rage against the machine stuff)... I usually have low frequencies flat and a bit more of treble... so it's basically a "all middle" sound

Well I wonder id these amp settings could interfere with guitars... if someone knows please tell me... thanx
  2. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    What exactly do you mean by 'interfere'?
  3. No. It doesn't necesarily interfere with guitars.

.. just kidding..

Its cool that you emphatize the mids in your set up.. It shouldn't be a problem at all.. Not always at least.

If the frequencies you boost cause problem or not with guitars will depend not only on you or the way any guitar player you get to play with sets up his/her rig.. But also it will depend on the acoustic properties of the place you jam or the equipment you use.. SO the best way to answer that question is to go and try for yourself with a band.
  4. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    "Interfere" I think is the wrong concept.

You probably should be asking the opposite question. Which is: "how can I use that sound effectively, and possibly blend with what the other band members are doing to get the best possible sound out of the band as a whole"?

A lot of bands use very strange bass sounds. Korn for instance, has built a whole following around the world's most unusual and bizarre sounding bass. Not something I woulda thought to use in a million years. But, it sounds good with what they do, and it sells records (lots of 'em!). Can't argue with that. :)

Rage is a good band, I like their bass player, but he's kinda more ordinary in terms of the sounds he uses (for the most part it's just a bass with a few stompboxes).
  5. panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    you're right it depends on the place I play in... but I tend to let the mids all the way up and vary the amount of bass and treble depending on the venue...
    rage are an ordinary bass sound but I think he knows hoe to make it play... I think he has a great touch in his right hand!
  6. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    I found that playing some venues with boosted Mid's is the only way to cut through the mix. I found that the Hi-Fi sound (IMO boosted highs and lows w/mid cut) sounds great soloed but tends to get lost in a live mix. Talk to your sound man, he can let you know if your sound is cutting through or causing problems with the overall sound.:bassist: