1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mid-century cab rebuild

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Doc Blue, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Doc Blue

Doc Blue

Mar 29, 2019
    St Augustine
    Magnavox stereo cabinet, that is. I see it as an old piece of furniture that's pretty cool.

Brought this home from my parents house thinking I could make a bass cab out of it. The grill area in front will accommodate 2 ea 8-in drivers on each side, the ends will hold a 10-in with room to spare. Those are faux doors. I have decent woodworking equipment in the garage and can reconfigure the cab internals as required for speaker enclosures or whatever. Thought I would attempt to define a speaker configuration before finding a suitable amp head, but maybe the whole system should to be considered at this point.

What do you think? (sorry, no poll)
    A. 1x8 each front
    B. 2x8 each front
    C. 1x10 each side, skip the 8s
    D. 1x10 side with 8s in front, maybe in a 2-way configuration
    E. Other ideas?
    F. Not going to get a decent bass sound, learn to play a 6-string?

FWIW, low E is as low as I go, and a Rumble 40 gives me adequate sound for practice.

P1040157.JPG

2. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Does it still have the original working (or even non-working) electronics? IMO, that's a cool nostalgia piece that might mean more to you down the road unmolested and "restored".

I have my grandparent's Stromborg Carlson radio console, it means something to me now that they listened to all the WW2 broadcasts on it, and the original NY call sign labels are still on it.

Just something to think about. Can you perhaps place a small bass cabinet and amp inside the cabinet?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    AGCurry and Al Kraft like this.
  3. Doc Blue

Doc Blue

Mar 29, 2019
    St Augustine
    Understand what you're saying, and gave it a lot of consideration. I brought it home in original condition, then removed all the internals. The value to me is in the appreciation of the wood work and craftsmanship, not as an antique radio. I have other family heirlooms and antiques to keep original. I'm already a ways down the road anyway.

So it's already decided to preserve the OML, but modernize it underneath.

agedhorse likes this.
  4. daveman50

daveman50 Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Albany NY
    A word of warning. I tried this with a smaller piece many years ago. The joints, laminations and glue did not appreciate being battered by sustained bass frequencies. It led to some nasty rattles and buzzes that could not be avoided or fixed. YMMV. And it might work fine if you expect to keep the volume level low, which I didn't.

AGCurry likes this.
  5. AGCurry

AGCurry Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2005
    St. Louis
    agedhorse and daveman50 have good advice. These "furniture consoles" were not even designed originally for high fidelity, and your bass guitar will not sound great through one. Can you perform the surgery? Probably. Will you be happy with the results? Probably not.

You say the main value to you is in your "appreciation of the wood work and craftsmanship." If that's so, then my advice is to make it into a china cabinet/breakfront or something similar. You came to a bass-player's forum for advice, so you are getting advice from bass players. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Redbrangus and johnpbass like this.
  6. Doc Blue

Doc Blue

Mar 29, 2019
    St Augustine
    I see the development of a trend... Starting to sound like a bad idea, I can accept that. Appreciate your opinion and replies.

daveman50 and Al Kraft like this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021