mid controls?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Brad Barker, Apr 3, 2002.

1. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    what are your opinions?

when reading BP's review of sadowsky's floor pre-amp, they quoted sadowsky saying that the reason why it doesn't have a mid control is b/c those can actually worsen the sound!

with so many people who have an onboard pre-amp with totally tweakable mids (like jeff radar and his ludicrous-in a good way-electronics), the validity of sadowsky's statement is questionable to me.

i can see how mids can worsen the sound in the wrong hands (just like how tweakable lows and highs can in the wrong hands). but if one is skilled in EQing to perfection, wouldn't having as much control be favorable?
  2. ItchyBass

Oct 12, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    I just replaced the pickups in my Peavey B-Quad 4 with Bartolinis, primarily because I had no control over my mids with the preamp that was in there. I got the preamp/harness that includes high, mid, & low adjustments with an additional three way switch to select what specific frequency range you are adjusting with the mid knob (kind of like on an Ampeg amp/preamp). I could not be happier!

Admittedly I rarely turn the knob past 2 o’clock to get more growl, and below 10 o’clock for a more scooped tone… But it makes all of the difference in the world to me. With the 3 way selector switch I tend to keep it on its lowest setting, affecting the low-mids the most. As a result I rarely touch the bass knob at all.

Mesa Boogie, which is what my rig consists of, has a very different attitude about mids than Sadowsky it seems. I have an M-Pulse 600 and in its preamp section the Mid control is the only passive control. It only BOOSTS the mids, and does not cut them.

You feel the Bass… High end gives you articulation… but it is the Mids that lets you cut through and be heard!
  3. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Ditto, all prior.
  4. I've got the SD Basslines 3 way Eq on my MPulcinella Level 5. I certainly don't qualify as someone who can eq to perfection and these tone controls are probably in the "wrong hands" :D

However I do find the mid control very useful when I feel like I need more articulation or just need to cut through. I find it helps to clear up my sound without my having to turn up - and that's a good thing.

Haven't played a Sadowsky so I can't comment on that but I like having the onboard flexibility of a mid. Wish the Basslines circuit had a way to vary the mid frequency (ala Barts or EMG) but overall, am happy with the control a 3 way tone circuit gives you.
  5. kcdbass

Feb 27, 2002
    New Jersey
    Former Sales/Web, Sadowsky Guitars
    consider this: going back to the earliest basses, you had volume and tone pretty much, right? how the heck did we survive all those years and make so many great recordings without a mid control?

heck, the most classic bass of all time is the fender p and it's only got "tone" ... and even that is really only a wide treble roll-off, right?

i think the deal with mid controls is that, it might make you sound fabulous on stage, but the FOH sound probably doesn't need all that midrange ...

just my opinion, i'm not an expert, but i have never played a bass that had no mid control that i found myself saying i wish there was a mid-knob on the bass.

that's what the mid knob on the amp or graphic eq is for ... mids at the amp sound more organic to me than mids from the bass anyway ...
  6. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    Roger and I went round and round on this very subject in July of 1999 and agree to disagree on this topic.

All I can say is that 90% of my J-Retro & U-Retro customers find the mid-controls to be the most useful aspect of them...go figure huh?