Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mid Machine! (Looking for new bass)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ifrit84, Aug 31, 2004.

1. Ifrit84

Ifrit84 Banned

Aug 27, 2004
    London, England
    I need a Mid machine. I want it soaked with mids. Like, Wal type mids, not so much the "middle mids" (Jazz Bass). Something with High mids that are sharp and "Chingy", and low mids that are growly, I do use a pick, But i'm looking for a tone thats more Progressive, not so much "CHUNGA CHINKY CHUNGA GHUNA" I want it to be light and transitive, but I want the low mids to make sure it's not transPARENT.

Now, Idealy, a Wal would let me fool around with the onboard enough to get the tone I want, but they don't come around that often (and are not that cheap either!).

Anyone know what my dream bass is? I sure don't, any ideas?

My budget is not "fodera" status, so,, lets say $0-$1500 (Or around) it doesn't have to be in that price range, but it would be nice.

2. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Have you tried something with Bartolini p/us and active electronics w/ mid frequency selector switch, or Aguilar actives? I like mids, and love both of these. Lots of smallish luthiers use em, and tons of used basses can be found with them.

3. Ifrit84

Ifrit84 Banned

Aug 27, 2004
    London, England
    Barts sound muddy to me, good for "middle mids", but i'm looking for something with great high mids and low mids.

4. Mids.... you want mids....
    Benavente!!

5. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    spector euro w/emg bqc system preamp.

6. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    My experience is that a bass with a Wenge neck and board will give you some serious mids. I also like Bubinga as a wood choice, either as a top or body, to bring out the mids.

7. Ifrit84

Ifrit84 Banned

Aug 27, 2004
    London, England
    Well, those woods,,, are great. But again, I don't have a "Fodera" budget. I can't belive the WHOLE populas of TalkBass can't name ANY basses?

8. 4 string or 5 string?

9. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    EB Music Man..

tk

10. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    you described a musicman stingray good call tkarter

11. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Warwick thumb. It sounds slightly fuller in the low mids (250Hz) than a usual jazz.

12. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    How's about a Warwick?

;)
    *all others go quiet*
    :smug:

With maple or bubinga (Streamer LX or Corvette) - used they are in your range and leave you with some more to spend

13. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    Wow. No one has mentioned a G&L 2000 yet? Talk about mids, it's got monster tone.

14. Ifrit84

Ifrit84 Banned

Aug 27, 2004
    London, England
    I've heard the bongo might get me their! The only thing is, I'd rather shoot myself then play that UGLY mess. But, if it's got the tone, i'll get it. *sigh*

15. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
  16. Ed Denton

Ed Denton Guest

Aug 25, 2004
    Alamogordo, NM
    just finished a five string fretless that i put a EMG35 in. It has a lot more mid than my carvin that has a musicman type humbucker in the bridge pos. Maybe cosider purchasing a bass that is very comfortalble and plays good and then change out the pickups?

17. Ed Denton

Ed Denton Guest

Aug 25, 2004
    Alamogordo, NM
    :cool:

18. Ifrit84

Ifrit84 Banned

Aug 27, 2004
    London, England
    Well, played a bongo, and while it's very good, it lacks the "zing!" i'm looking for. Oh well, guess I'll have to wait for a good deal on a used Wal or something. I might go the new pickups way.

19. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    I'm telling you, man, try a G&L 2000 or 2500 (if you're into 5ers). If you have any in your area, you'd be doing yourself a disservice by not trying one out.

They've the ability to give out more zing than some can handle.

20. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Modulus Quantum with sweepable midrange control.