1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mid-priced 1x12s

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SoComSurfing, Mar 8, 2008.

1. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I've been looking into getting a pair of 1x12s for a while now, but unfortunately that just aren't many options in this area. I've been through MANY 1x12 threads here, and I've been through Tom's 1x12 Shootout many, many times, and think I have the results memorized by now, but I'm curious about several of the mid-priced options out there that he didn't get to review:

Mesa Powerhouse 1x12
    Genz-Benz Neo112X
    Gallien-Krueger Neo 112
    Aguilar DB112

Anyone who's had the chance to A/B any of these, please provide your insight.

2. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    I have owned the GK NEO 112 cab. Didn't like it, wasn't very loud at all. When I paired two of them together it was much better.

3. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I own two aguilar GS not DB 112 and like them. the DBs supposidly have more mids for 'cut-through'. they're a little heavier than the GS cabs, but I bet either would be a great cab. do you want more mids or less??

I have not heard the DB in person, but I would bet aguilar did their homework.

4. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    I was about to make nearly the same post.

PowerHouse vs. DB112 vs. NeoX-112T

though for me, I'm considering just the single cab. It may be worth noting that the DB comes in an NT version to save a little $$.

SCS, what amp are you using?

And yes, I'll be using my 1x12 with a DB750.

5. I had a GS112 for a long time - nice cab, but ultimately a little mid-scoopy for me. I'd have gotten a DB112, but I swore off rear-ported cabs long ago.

I got a Dr. Bass 1x12, and so far I think it's the best sounding of the bunch. Not as much bottom as the Aggie, but overall the best tone IMO.

6. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    so, did you sell your db112?? or keep it AND get a DR.bass??

please explain the downside of rear ported cabs, in your opinion...

7. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    The Neox 112 is louder than the gs112 and deeper. I did a direct A/B comparison, swapping between the two cabs off the same head.

Dude, you're in Mobile! Shoot me a PM and I'll give you my number. You can come play with any of my gear whenever you want.

EDIT: IMO, the Neox owns all the other cabs in your list, and those in Tom's review that I've tried as well.

8. Just wondering if you've ever weighed your Neox12?

9. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    It's been a while, so I don't remember for sure. I think I posted it here at one point, but it was less than the advertised weight by a few pounds, 34 or 35 I think. That's very light for a cabinet of this size. The Neox 112 isn't BIG by any means, but it's larger than some, definitely a bit larger than the gs112. But I think that is probably why it sounds fatter, fuller, with a bigger bottom.

Anyone in driving distance can come hear my cabs whenever they want. Just send me a PM and we'll work out the details.

10. SoComSurfing

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I appreciate the input. I'll be taking you up on that "test-drive" in the future. You're actually across the Bay, aren't you? I'll check with another TBer here in town and see if we might could all get together sometime soon.

Out of curiosity, which cabs from Tom's shootout have you played, as well? The last time I played a Neox112, I put it up against every other 1x12, 1x10, and 2x10 in the store (which included nothing from my list above), and it was my number 2 choice. I'm just not sure I can justify the extra few hundred for the Glock 1x12s, as much as I'd love to.

11. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    Cool!

I can't remember all of Tom's list, but from memory the Epi, Berg (HT and IP), EA Wizzy and the Schroeder. I've also test driven Aggy gs112 and db 112, and I owned an Eden 112. The Berg ip112 was AMAZING, but it's self-powered of course. It all boils down to preference in the end of course, but the Neox wasn't lacking anywhere, and on a gig it really shines. The band I'm playing with is filling out our summer schedule, so you'll have some more chances to come here it very soon.

12. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    The Aguilar GS112 is very light weight and has great tone. Keep the tweeter turned way down and it won't sound as "scooped" as some say. One of those tweeters is enough highs for 4 12"s, so keep it on about 10-20% and run a dry signal at your head (don't boost lows a bunch) and you'll be loving it. These are also widely available and typically very affordable as a result. I think they're great cabs.

The Mesa weighs enough more that you can't 1-hand it, so fortunately it comes with 2 handles. That means one trip per 12. It is significantly louder and bassier than the Aguilar, has full low mids without sounding honky, a dip in the middle mids, and strong hi mids. Doesn't sound at all "Neo". The highs can be tailored into a bunch of different shapes with the new crossover. Really a killer sounding cab with loads of depth and a great rock sound.

A pair of either of these will handle most any gig, but if you're always going to use 2 and have adequate transport, a 2x12 will always sound a little better than 2 1x12s.

I've tried lots of bergantino and epifani cabs, and I'd choose either one of the above cabs over those, regardless of cost.

13. jzbass6

jzbass6 One Nation Under A Groove

Just to throw a monkey in the wrench, has anyone tried the Avatar SB112 NEO LF? I've heard it's on par tonewise if not as powerful some of the 112's medntioned. Please let me know if I'm off bass, er sorry base.

14. Malachi71

Malachi71

Oct 11, 2007
    I've wondered the same thing. I posted a thread asking owners of the SB112 Neo LF to post the tone of the cab but got no replies (with the exception of Butch Black whom I PM'd). I'm curious how the lows, mids, and highs (with the newer crossover) sound in comparison to the likes of the Aguilar and other mid-priced 1x12 cabs. Maybe someone will respond to this thread about its sound.

15. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    i love my Bag End S12-C!
    it kills!

16. Malachi71

Malachi71

Oct 11, 2007
    I curious why a 2x12 would sound better than 2-1x12's. Isn't the internal volume of 1x12 greater than the volume of 112 in a 2x12 cab? If so, then the 1x12 should be able to go deeper.

17. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I'm going to be in and around Mobile this weekend, with two Powerhouse 112s in tow. You should come out and try them.

Bring a bass though, I don't have any basses in EADG tuning.

18. SoComSurfing

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Thanks for the input. The Mesa is actually a pretty strong contender at this point. I'm going to try to catch one of Benjamin Strange's gig this weekend to see how they sound. He and I have pretty similar amp tastes.

I've not really looked into Avatar. For some reason I've never really been interested in them. I'd prefer to keep with something that I could get from a local store, even though I'll have to special-order any of these.

I'm going to try to make it out this weekend. I'd love to make it to LuLu's on Sunday, but don't think that'll happen. The Thursday night gig looks like it might be a good option, as that's my last day at my old job, and a friend lives right across the street from Bilotti's and is always there anyhow.

19. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Its just my experience, and is especially true with the 4x12. One big cab sounds a little more coherent than two smaller ones.

20. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    +1

i love the GS112's. had i not ever heard, let alone lifted an epifani ul112, i'd be a happy owner of the GS cabs. besides, EQ'ing is a wonderful thing.

i tried many a DB112, and frankly, that middle mid pumped honk is a little tiresome after a while. sure, it'll probably work in louder settings, but in a quieter setting, i'd probably only take so much, and dialing out that ballpeen hammer like mid kick is quite hard to do.

a cool aggro sounding cab that still versatile enough for most apps is the Eden D112XLT. the tweeter does add a dash of razor like aggression to the top end, but the rest of the cab has a smooth fat feel that i really dig. another cab you might wanna check out.