Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

mid-priced 6'er (new or used) other than ibanez?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Matt R Miller, May 7, 2003.

1. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    hey im lookin into possibly getting a 6 string...maximum of $600 new or used. Tryed out Ibanez and didn't like the sound much. any suggestions are appreciated.

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Peavey TL-6. It was the top of the line before the Cirrus.

Do a search. Plenty of threads floating about.

3. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Carvin LB76. I used to own a Peavey TL-6, and it was good too, but I sold it to buy a Carvin and was happier overall. Other people might have just the opposite preference, of course.

4. Skerik1

Skerik1

Sep 21, 2002
    Saint Paul, MN
    Hooray!!

Try out a Spector Q6 Pro!!! They list for about $849, so that means you could probably get away with paying around $600 from Bass Northwest!!

--Matthew

5. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    There was a great deal on some of the De'armond pilot series. I think tyhat it was the delux that was the 6 string. But, since fender took over the line, they discontinued the line, but they are a great deal if you can find them used.

Slicks

6. i owned a q4 for a few weeks (bought it off ebay because it came with a spector case and sold it and kept the $175 case for free)... I HATED IT... it felt so flimsey and cheap compared to my neck thru 2000... build quality not good at all... sounded reaaaaaaaaalllllllllly thin... maybe the q6's are better but for a low priced 6 string thats probably the only way to go... ive seen them on ebay for 4-550

7. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    You might like a Peavey Axcelerator. Same pickups as the Cirrus, two-band 18v. preamp instead of 3. I am in love with mine. Used, you can find them pretty commonly in the $350-450 range. New list was something over $1100. Very nice USA-made bass.