Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

mid-priced Fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by johans, Sep 29, 2005.

1. johans

johans G.U.I - Groovin' under influence

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    hi,

i am asking for some recomendation that you guys can give me.

a budget about 700-800
    used is fine

5 string
    fretless :)

thanks

2. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Get a used carvin frettless. mine was 880 new (5 string neck thru frettless) 5 years ago, and they come up on ebay often. You can get some with some pretty awesome features for about half of what the owners put into them. Carvin fretboards are ebony and are wonderfully precise and the necks are quite stable.

If you don't need a neck thru, you can get a bolt on carvin 5er new and have it made your own way for less than 800
    bucks.

If you were shopping for fretted 5ers, there would be many more possibly better options than carvin, but if you want a frettless (especially an ulined one) carvin would be my suggestion.

One other option would be to make a warmoth. If you can do your own finishing, you could make a smoking warmoth frettless for 800 bucks.

3. johans

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    how about a used godin a5?

4. apollo11

apollo11

Aug 19, 2004
    New York
    Music Man Sterling, approximately $650-$750 used. Sometimes you can get a New-Old-stock for $850-$900, with case. What you will get for those prices is one of the best production basses in the world. Fantastic quality, high resale value, and years and years of productivity our of it. If you go used, you'll never lose money if you decide to sell. /Ab[​IMG]

5. xring

xring

Sep 16, 2003
    Ohio
    No Sterling 5's right?

6. apollo11

apollo11

Aug 19, 2004
    New York
    My apologies...I never even noticed your criteria. Sorry.

7. RE:PEAT

RE:PEAT

Jun 24, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Warwick Corvette :bassist:

8. WarwickFan

WarwickFan

Feb 7, 2005
    Florida

+1 :)

9. darkside 88

darkside 88

Feb 23, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    +1

Those are a dream to play. I imagine you could find a 5 used. You can any fretless tone, mwah can go from rich to nasaly, or you can go for a dark, almost upright like tone.

10. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Are we talking about the passive frettless warwick? the only frettless warwick I ever played was the 4 string passive corvette. I've played quite a few of them and I was always quite unimpressed. Quite bland. I think it really needs the active electronics to achieve greateness. But if you could find a frettelss corvette5er with active electronics for 800, it would probably be a great bass, and a real steal.

11. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    + 1

I can get tons of mwah with my Corvette Standard.

12. johans

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    anyone has any thought of Godin A5? i never play it but got a great deal new out of it now..

13. johans

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    i used to own a corvette 5.. but i am afraid i might have problem with the neck, but its worth trying :) anyone has the sound clip or anything about warwick corvette passive f-less?

14. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    A fretless Lakland 52-01 is a great buy!

15. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    Is there a reason we're ignoring MIM fenders? or for 900 i'm pretty sure u can go american cause they're running a $100 rebate or something. if you go mexican, rip out the pickups, and you got yourself a quality bass. That's what i did anyway.

16. SomeGuy

SomeGuy

Aug 20, 2004
    The Last Frontier
    I just got a Spector Rebop 5 fretless in a trade and it's pretty smokin. Great tone, real lightweight, and the body is very comfortable. I think that they are over your budget brand new, but used should be affordable, check'em out.

Andrew

17. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I paid $200 for my Yamaha BB404F and it plays better than any instrument I've played in the price range sans a fretless Stingray 5. Definately give one of those a shot and I'm sure you can find one used in your price range.

18. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Check this out.
    It´s posted by some other TB´er (can´t remember his name)
    sometime ago. Recorded live. It´s a fine example of the Vette´s tone.

Audio clip

19. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    That's a sweet clip! You're making me GAS for a Warwick Corvette. People say they are heavey. Comments?

20. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    I've been playing as many fretlesses as I can lately at music stores, but nothing really suprised me more than a corvette standard 4 fretless. I was really captivated by the sound, where as the fenders I've played (fretless jazz) were ok, but noithing spectacular... and I happen to be a fender fan.

They are on the heavy side of the spectrum though.