Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mid priced new bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bass87, Feb 1, 2003.

1. Ok I have my GCSEs this summer and if I do well then I might just run into a load of money. And what better to do than buy a new bass! I have a few ideas in my mind, which are:

Warwick Corvette Standard
    Lakland Skyline 55-01
    Fender American Jazz Bass
    Spector ReBop 4/5
    Yamaha BB605

I play mostly jazz, but have just started a funk rock type band with some mates; which of thse basses do you think would suit me the best? Ive tried all but the Lakland, which Ive heard great things of anyway.

OR I could upgrade my current MIM Deluxe Jazz Bass, ie installing new pickups and preamp. Does anyone think this is a good idea? If so, what pickups and preamp should I look into?

Thanx for any help.

2. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    My preferences would lie towards the Lakland or Spector only b/c I don't particularly care for the other manufacturers on your list.

3. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    Either the Lakland or look into the new Yamaha RBX775.. They sound awsome, very nice tone, can go LOW, and but the highs are the biggest thing. Very nice jazzy to funk highs. Very nice for a 5-string under $700

4. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    IGNORE EVERYONE AND GET THE RE BOP 4/5!!!

I mean, hey,,,, check out those spectors....very nice.

5. MIA Jazz or Skyline. Depends on whether you're wanting the 4 or 5 string.

6. I like the Skyline 55-01.