mid-range bow suggestions

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by LouisF, Aug 4, 2003.

1. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm looking at various mid-range French bows ($500-$800; I currently play German) and the leading contenders seem to be Carbow, Arcos and one by Jan Dvorak? Does anyone have any experience with these; The Czeck bow actually has the best feel of the three, but I don't know much about them? Carbow is the "cleanest" but I still would prefer wood!
  2. I knew a guy who had a bow that I believe was by Jan Dvorak, and it was very nice. If the one you're looking at is similar and in that price range I'd say grab it, because it's definately going to be better than the compsite bows.
  3. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    thanks! that's my feeling, too!
  4. nah, the carbon fibre bows aren't that bad. I just prefer wood, and I know a lot of other people do too. The carbon bows I've played just don't feel or sound quite right. If you look hard enough, for the price of a carbon bow you can get a pretty decent wood bow, so I don't see the advantage in carbon other than the durability part. I may be wrong, but I also don't think that a composite bow will hold it's value as well as a quality wood bow.
  5. yeah, I'm not sure about how bows hold their value and the whole new vs. old thing. I posted a thread asking about it a while back, but nobody replied. I'd be interested to know how newer bows compare to old bows of comparable quality.
  6. tww001

Aug 13, 2003
    Telford, PA
    check out South West Strings...they'll let you test up to three basses in your price range for up to two weeks...right now I'm testing a Viroin, an Alfred Knoll, and a generic bow (all german :D ). They're all great...each has its own quirks, and I still haven't decided which I want.
  7. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I've got a carbow and I love it. I was thinking of tone when i bought it and it brings tons ot the table.
  8. A friend got a Marco Raposo for 750 @ David Gage (look him up on a search engine) its a beautiful bow and i plan on getting one soon . amazing sound . takes care of any "dirtyness" in your sound .

P.S.--you would have to go to his store in NY to get one of those bows and to go to his shop you are supposed to make an appointment. (only problem)
  9. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    just as an update -- the Dvorak bow is holding up very well. I've used it in several orchestra concerts and other performances; it's well balanced and easy to play.

10. I have a Marco Raposo German and I`m very pleased. Plays very well for the money.

11. I was talking to a friend of mine who is a dirty violist...(just kidding)...told me to try Otto Durrschmidt and although i've yet to , i've heard a lot about them...between 600-800$...........
  12. I let you know how The Karl Herman bow is when I get it back with some hair. I'll see if it would be worth rehairing the second one I have.
  13. I just got a W.Seiffert, octagonal pernambuco bow, from Lemur Music for $630.

I also auditioned another Seiffert, round pernambuco, selling for $599.

I like them both, though the octagonal seemed louder and projected more.

My teacher, who owns a whole collection, including one $1500 bow, and he thought they were both good.

Lemur makes it easy to audition and return all those you don't want. (you just have to have a credit balance on your card high enough for purchase price of all the bows, you want to try.
  14. I can quote Gary Karr , speaking on his model Carbow saying that he thinks for the price , they are better than any wood bow. They compare to bows much costlier.
  15. As someone starting to research prospects for a new bow, I've found it interesting that while composites are getting alot of name endorcements, most of the posts I see reflect a preference for new wood in the same price range.

The hard part is going to be finding a single source for trials of both popular wood and composites. It sounds like I'll want to try Seiffert, Raposo, and Dvorak as well as Carbow and maybe another composite.
  16. Dave - I'll jump in here to say that I play a carbon bow and I love it. Cost me $650. My luthier has a very liberal trade-in policy (he'll apply the full purchase price of the old bow toward the new one!) and this was the fourth bow, and the first carbon bow, that I bought from him, all in the same price range, over the past 2 years, and it is hands down the nicest bow I've had. I suspect it is the last bow I'll buy from him as well - it's a keeper. That includes testing every bow in his shop in that price range each time I traded. My teacher uses the same bow as I do, even though he has much more expensive wooden bows, and he tells me he uses it for most of his symphonic work as well.

17. Thanks Pete. Which Carbow did you go with? Did you try the Carr model? At that price, I'd also like to know who your Luthier is:)

Thanks again