Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mid range driver to match Kappa 15LF

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bigwan, Feb 8, 2005.

1. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    Hi all,

Looking for some recommendations here. From the searches I've done so far people have recommended the Eminence Alpha 6 as mid-ranger crossed over at 800Hz, but that was with an Omega Pro 12" and Delta 12LF. Can I expect the combination of a Kappa 15LF and Alpha 6 to work just as well? Any other suggestions?

Cheers

Ian

2. Yes.

The Alpha 6 has an SPL around 93, which is pretty close to the various LF drivers. Crossed over at 800 ~ 1200 Hz, the Alpha is well out of the way of damage from fundamentals.

Understand this is still a 6" driver, and as such, not terribly loud.

The Kappa 15LF is capable of a +6dB more SPL level before it exceeds Xmax. A pair of Alpha 6 with the Kappa is louder, and a closer SPL match. The problem is the 4-ohm load from a parallel pair, as that screws up a passive crossover.

The pairing of an Alpha 6 with many of the larger Eminence bass drivers gives a pleasing balance across the entire bass spectrum.

3. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Here's a 6.5 incher that matches up well as far as sensitivity and power handling: B & C 6.5" Midrange Driver

I've been wanting to try one of these, or the 8 incher, but I have too many other projects on my plate at the moment. :cool:

4. There are (40) Alpha 6 for sale on eBay BIN Dutch Auction right now. I bought 4 at $18 each... brand new. Do the shipping calculation, and you will see the (commercial) seller is not burning you for excess shipping costs.

Alpha 6 Fire Sale

I have plans drawn for building a vertical line array of Alpha 6 to use with a stack of Omega Pro 12 or Magnum 18LF.

5. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    Sorry to trail up an old post folks but I've been giving this more thought...

As I'm mostly using 2 Kappa 15 LF loaded cabs, would it be feasible to build a 4 x 6" loaded cab using the alpha drivers in series/parallel resulting in an 8 ohm load, and then use a passive crossover with this cab and one of the kappa cabs. This arrangement could then be run in parallel with the other kappa cab giving a 4 ohm load and better matching between the two driver types.

Comments?

6. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Makes sense to me. Be sure to put the 6" drivers in a line array for decent dispersion, and stack it vertically - it may look silly but it'll sound great!

Alex

7. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    That's what I was thinking too Alex!

8. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    With one driver use the Alpha 8MR. It has higher sensitivity and doesn't require a separate sealed rear chamber.

You can, keep them vertically aligned, put the crossover in the box with the Alphas, have low-pass output jacks to go to the boxes with the Kappas. Use two low pass filters, one for each Kappa, having one Kappa filtered and one not could lead to phase difficulties. This means you have to run first order on the low pass (coil only), but that's OK, combined with the acoustic roll-off of the Kappas the total slope is adequate.

9. Bill, do you think the Kappa Pro LF-2 and Alpha 8MR is enough to get good high-end without running a tweeter in the mix? I'm wondering, because the Alpha 8MR's useable range is from 500hz-5khz, versus the 110hz-8khz for the Alpha 6. The frequency response charts in the spec PDFs aren't very easy to read...

I'm beginning preliminary planning of 2 1x15 cabinets loaded with Kappa Pro LF-2s. I'm currently running them both in a 2x15 cab.. I want to separate them into two individual cabs with either the Alpha 6 or 8MRs..

Thanks.. and please excuse me for jumping into this thread..

Mag...

10. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    It depends on your preference, but keep in mind that tens with a supposed top end of 4 to 5 kHz don't really deliver that high, as their dispersion is too narrow above 2.5 kHz or so to be useful anyway. So you'll at least be a lot better off than with tens. If you anticipate having to go higher leave room for a vertical array of piezo horns next to the Alpha's, at least four to get adequate sensitivity. Contrary to popular belief piezos work quite well, so long as you array them vertically and don't have a midrange hole between them and the woofers. Most cabs using piezos sound awful, but that has nothing to do with the piezos, it has to do with poor to non-existant engineering of the cab as a whole.

11. Bill.. thanks a bunch for explaining this for me. I haven't had the chance to try a bunch of speaker types or combinations, but I do remember how a friend's single 12 cab had really great mids and highs, when I tried my bass with it. I thought to myself that if I could only get a blend between my 15s and THAT sound, it would be great.
    I like the idea of not having to build a separate enclosure for the Alpha8MRs too..

Mag...